Fuel line replacement on 1987 Stingray 3.7 L

frank3726

Cadet
While trying to get it started due to another issue I went through the carb, fuel pump and removed the gas just in case I had water. During this time I read many posts and the bottom line now is I have an in-line fuel filter before the fuel pump that I know isn't OEM. My question is this. I looked at where the fuel line goes in and it's behind the interior (side padding) trim. What's the easiest way to get that fuel line off without removing the trim? BTW, when I had it winterized the marina just replaced the darn in-line fuel filter. After reading all the posts about fuel leaks and fires I want to get this fixed, and found out the pump filter was missing.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel line replacement on 1987 Stingray 3.7 L

There is often no easy way. Unless you have one of these.... :D

easy_button.jpg

You need to do whatever it takes to trace the line back to the fuel tank. You really ought to have a solid line coming from your tank to your pump. Unless it is a metal line, then you will want a length of marine rated type A1 hose between the line and the pump.

Get rind of the inline filter completely and install a water separating filter before the pump.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Fuel line replacement on 1987 Stingray 3.7 L

There is usually room on the engine somewhere for you to mount a fuel / water separator. Here's where I mounted one on a 3 liter:

DSCF8572.jpg