Did i burn my motor? Water in my oil / no comperssion in one cylinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did i burn my motor? Water in my oil / no comperssion in one cylinder

Hello I have a 1984 Formula 23SC with an I/O Mercruiser 228 5.0L V8. The boat was running fine until I notice oil/water mix coming from my bilge pump. At this point I knew I had and oil leak somewhere. I begin to monitor my oil more often and adding a quart every month or so (I use my boat 4 times a week). Now this is the big problem: The leak got worst, while I was in the water the bilge pump just would not stop pumping that milky stuff (water/oil mixture). I soon turn the boat on and head back to my marina. In my way back the engine felt jumpy and rough to the point that it just stalled and die. I then was able to turn the boat back on but at this point the engine begin to make a real bad clanking noise, I know at this point that I had no oil. I check the dipstick and it was completely dry plus it had water marks on it. I then pour a gallon of oil and still have no reading plus a lot more water marks on the dipstick. The oil leak is not that intense to leak a gallon in less than 5 minutes. I believe I have water in my oil and the mixture of oil/water in the pan does not allow me to get a reading on the dipstick. Is that possible? Long story I got a tow back to the marina. I did a compression test on each cylinder, see the results below:

Cylinder # 1 = 120 lbs
    Cylinder # 2 = 125 lbs
    Cylinder # 3 = 120 lbs
    Cylinder # 4 = 120 lbs
    Cylinder # 5 = 120 lbs
    Cylinder # 6 = 20 lbs (problem cylinder)
    Cylinder # 7 = 110 lbs
    Cylinder # 8 = 110 lbs

Also when I remove the spark plug from cylinder # 6 the plug was smashed (like something hit it) what do you guys think is the problem? The engine turns on but with a clanking noise plus there is water in the oil. Please I need your help!!! What should I do first? I need a good affordable mechanic in the New Haven CT area.

Thank you!!!!

• Bikeluver43
    replied
    Re: Did i burn my motor? Water in my oil / no comperssion in one cylinder

I must've read the first post incorrectly, but it sounded like this leak has been ongoing for months which was why I responded the way I did previously. If it was a one time thing to get back to dock then ok.

In regards to your engine choice - Swap the intake over, distributor, etc. from your bad motor onto the fuel injected motor and you should be good to go. People convert from Fuel injected to carb all the time, its very simple.

Leave a comment:

• 81 Checkmate
    replied

SOOOOOOO....You love boating.....Decision time!

Leave a comment:

• AllDodge
    replied

In all fairness, I know fishermen that use in 5-7 days a week. Use it about everyday after work, some married, some use to be married (fish thing). Then there are old guys like me, retired

Leave a comment:

• tank1949
    replied

Got that right. Had oil pressure switch blow and dumped a gal into bilg on one trip. Former owner had all wiring jury riged and no alarms. We fixed that and took over a year to fix other crap. Man may have ran out of oil and motor got hot and blew head gasket. Sounds like rebuild job or more likely new block, etc. I've heard that draining and then filling with diesel fluid can perform some saving but, most of the people I know have to work and take too long to pull motor befor damage is done.

Leave a comment:

• LiquidC
    replied

4-5 times a week???

Then you must not have a job ... and must be rich. Which would mean: Send this to the scrapper & buy a new boat!!

Leave a comment:

• gonzalez3346
    replied

I love boating! i use my boat 4-5 times a week!!

Leave a comment:

• Walt T
    replied

I used a truck motor for my stroker motor build, just look for roller rocker block though. Found it on Craigslist. Since you're not a mechanic I'd suggest what LiquidC did, purchase a long block from a reputable dealer. Definitely a 350. Perhaps you can look at it this way, you bought a boat for 3K, gonna be at least 3K for a motor, probably 4. So you'll have 7K in the boat. A new boat is 35-70K, a used boat as you know is less. You could buy another 3K boat but it's likely you'll buy its problems too. How important is boating to you?

Leave a comment:

• 81 Checkmate
    replied

FYI....Find a new guy at the marina!

1. It will take alot of xtra money and parts (And know how) to convert a Fuel injected system to a 1984 system.......Unlees he has all the wiring harness/module..sensors and such.......Or its a throttle body system, thats do-able.

If he is telling you its gona put extra stress on the transom....He's a B.S. and is trying to make a buck......Unless this is a stroker 383 high output H.P. motor.

Now if your transom is all rotted out than any size motor gona put stres on it.

Leave a comment:

• Bondo
    replied

Originally posted by gonzalez3346 View Post
    Hello! I know that the spill of oil is not a good thing for our ocean, but I had my 9 year old kid and my wife in the boat and it was getting dark and windy, therefore I had no choice but to rush back to a safe area. I am glad the boat die in the entrance of my marina and I was able to get a tow to the service dock. Believe me I respect the planet and try to take care it as much as possible!

my current motor is a MERCRUISER - (228 H.P. (1984 )
    Serial No: 06773972 Model No: 02288344

A guy at the marina offer me the same size motor for a good price, but the motor has a fuel injection system and not a carburetor. What do you guys feel about that?
    also a mechanic mention that if I will put a 350 on my current outdrive I will stress the transmission. is that correct?
    Ayuh,.... For Several Months,..??

Leave a comment:

• gonzalez3346
    replied

Hello! I know that the spill of oil is not a good thing for our ocean, but I had my 9 year old kid and my wife in the boat and it was getting dark and windy, therefore I had no choice but to rush back to a safe area. I am glad the boat die in the entrance of my marina and I was able to get a tow to the service dock. Believe me I respect the planet and try to take care it as much as possible!

my current motor is a MERCRUISER - (228 H.P. (1984 )
    Serial No: 06773972 Model No: 02288344

A guy at the marina offer me the same size motor for a good price, but the motor has a fuel injection system and not a carburetor. What do you guys feel about that?
    also a mechanic mention that if I will put a 350 on my current outdrive I will stress the transmission. is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• Volphin
    replied

Originally posted by Bikeluver43 View Post
    Did you seriously go driving around while your bilge was pumping oil into the water? Wow
    Now guys, don't be too hard on him. You never know what conditions someone is boating in. It may not be safe to shut down in rough water or high winds. I'd sacrifice my motor or a slight environmental spill for the sake of my family's safety every time.

Leave a comment:

• Bikeluver43
    replied

Originally posted by gonzalez3346 View Post
    Hello I have a 1984 Formula 23SC with an I/O Mercruiser 228 5.0L V8. The boat was running fine until I notice oil/water mix coming from my bilge pump. At this point I knew I had and oil leak somewhere. I begin to monitor my oil more often and adding a quart every month or so (I use my boat 4 times a week). Now this is the big problem: The leak got worst, while I was in the water the bilge pump just would not stop pumping that milky stuff (water/oil mixture). I soon turn the boat on and head back to my marina. :
    Did you seriously go driving around while your bilge was pumping oil into the water? Wow

Leave a comment:

• LiquidC
    replied

The 305 & 350 blocks are identical & swap-able. Just the cylinder bore that's different.

Post your serial number to find out what vintage 305 we're dealing with ...

The cam in a truck motor works fine in a boat, and they typically come with brass freeze plugs.
    Last edited by LiquidC; August 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gonzalez3346
    replied

I notice a lot of you guys mention to go with a truck motor. Will it be a perfect fit on my boat? how can I make sure I will get a perfect match? are you guys meaning get a truck block and head and add all my current components to it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X