Did i burn my motor? Water in my oil / no comperssion in one cylinder

gonzalez3346

Cadet
Hello I have a 1984 Formula 23SC with an I/O Mercruiser 228 5.0L V8. The boat was running fine until I notice oil/water mix coming from my bilge pump. At this point I knew I had and oil leak somewhere. I begin to monitor my oil more often and adding a quart every month or so (I use my boat 4 times a week). Now this is the big problem: The leak got worst, while I was in the water the bilge pump just would not stop pumping that milky stuff (water/oil mixture). I soon turn the boat on and head back to my marina. In my way back the engine felt jumpy and rough to the point that it just stalled and die. I then was able to turn the boat back on but at this point the engine begin to make a real bad clanking noise, I know at this point that I had no oil. I check the dipstick and it was completely dry plus it had water marks on it. I then pour a gallon of oil and still have no reading plus a lot more water marks on the dipstick. The oil leak is not that intense to leak a gallon in less than 5 minutes. I believe I have water in my oil and the mixture of oil/water in the pan does not allow me to get a reading on the dipstick. Is that possible? Long story I got a tow back to the marina. I did a compression test on each cylinder, see the results below:

Cylinder # 1 = 120 lbs
Cylinder # 2 = 125 lbs
Cylinder # 3 = 120 lbs
Cylinder # 4 = 120 lbs
Cylinder # 5 = 120 lbs
Cylinder # 6 = 20 lbs (problem cylinder)
Cylinder # 7 = 110 lbs
Cylinder # 8 = 110 lbs

Also when I remove the spark plug from cylinder # 6 the plug was smashed (like something hit it) what do you guys think is the problem? The engine turns on but with a clanking noise plus there is water in the oil. Please I need your help!!! What should I do first? I need a good affordable mechanic in the New Haven CT area.

Thank you!!!!
:facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Did i burn my motor? Water in my oil / no comperssion in one cylinder

:welcome: to iboats

Really don't like the idea of knowingly having oil pumped into the water but I'll leave that alone. :facepalm:

Sounds like you blew a hole in a piston and may have a cracked cylinder wall of head. Time to pull the engine and see if it is rebuildable.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yuup ^^^^^^^
The low compression and the smashed spark plug is not a good sign.

I wouldn't even bother taking it apart in the boat.....Time to pull the motor!

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can pull the intake manifold & heads to see what's going on, but it sounds like you'll need a new block.

Where is the oil coming from? It sounds like a valve fell into the #6 cylinder and caused mayhem. Must have crushed your plug and punched a hole or crack in the block. Pop off the valve cover to see if all of your valve rods on #6 are still there & intact.

Some pics would be interesting to see ... especially of the plug

gonzalez3346

Cadet

Wow :confused: I don't even know if is worth to fixed, I only pay 3k for the boat, a whole new block and or head sounds like a lot of money, plus I have to pay for labor since I am not a mechanic. I only had the boat for 6 months. Do you guys think is worth doing all those repairs in a boat that age? 1984 Any advice where to get a block or head at a good reasonable price? more advise will be appreciate!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Seems to me that if you paid only $3k for the boat and going to be needing to pay someone to do the labor, with the age of that boat I would probably not want to spend any more and try and part it out and move on.

Mark

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would use this as a good opportunity to swap in a 350 v8. The amount of time you ran your engine with water/milk/whatever has wasted the bottom end. Even if you were to get compression back up you are going to spin a bearing or throw a rod unless you repair the entire bottom end. The crank will probably be wiped and bearings gone. A 5.0 in that boat is under powered, swap in a 5.7 and learn a good lesson.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

That's really a personal question........It's your boat and you have to make the decision. Is the boat worth it to you?

Seeen how your not a mechanic and have to have a Boat mechanic do the work...its gona be pricey, But you could go with a used truck motor and swap over the needed marine safety parts over to the new motor.

You do all the leg work and drop everything off to him...Get a quote first.

Im in the process of restoring an 1981 boat... Spending $1000 of dollers on a 81 boat.....but i like the lines and make of the boat and its worth it to me!

Hope that helps and Good Luck!

Bondo

Staff member

Wow :confused: I don't even know if is worth to fixed, I only pay 3k for the boat, a whole new block and or head sounds like a lot of money, plus I have to pay for labor since I am not a mechanic. I only had the boat for 6 months. Do you guys think is worth doing all those repairs in a boat that age? 1984 Any advice where to get a block or head at a good reasonable price? more advise will be appreciate!!

Ayuh,.... Maybe take up Golf or something,.....

I can't believe the untold Gallons of Oil you've been pumpin' into the water many of Us boat, fish, 'n swim in,...:faint2: :eek: :confused: :mad: :facepalm:

Volphin

Lieutenant

Well, a dropped valve will read 0 psi on compression. Regardless, #6 is inop. due to mechanical failure. Go with a 5.7 truck engine from a junkyard or get a rebuilt long block. Do it this Fall so you will be ready to go when Spring springs. :)

gonzalez3346

Cadet

I notice a lot of you guys mention to go with a truck motor. Will it be a perfect fit on my boat? how can I make sure I will get a perfect match:confused:? are you guys meaning get a truck block and head and add all my current components to it?

LiquidC

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 305 & 350 blocks are identical & swap-able. Just the cylinder bore that's different.

Post your serial number to find out what vintage 305 we're dealing with ...

The cam in a truck motor works fine in a boat, and they typically come with brass freeze plugs.

Last edited:

Bikeluver43

Cadet

Hello I have a 1984 Formula 23SC with an I/O Mercruiser 228 5.0L V8. The boat was running fine until I notice oil/water mix coming from my bilge pump. At this point I knew I had and oil leak somewhere. I begin to monitor my oil more often and adding a quart every month or so (I use my boat 4 times a week). Now this is the big problem: The leak got worst, while I was in the water the bilge pump just would not stop pumping that milky stuff (water/oil mixture). I soon turn the boat on and head back to my marina. :

Did you seriously go driving around while your bilge was pumping oil into the water? Wow

Volphin

Lieutenant

Did you seriously go driving around while your bilge was pumping oil into the water? Wow

Now guys, don't be too hard on him. You never know what conditions someone is boating in. It may not be safe to shut down in rough water or high winds. I'd sacrifice my motor or a slight environmental spill for the sake of my family's safety every time.

gonzalez3346

Cadet

Hello! I know that the spill of oil is not a good thing for our ocean, but I had my 9 year old kid and my wife in the boat and it was getting dark and windy, therefore I had no choice but to rush back to a safe area. I am glad the boat die in the entrance of my marina and I was able to get a tow to the service dock. Believe me I respect the planet and try to take care it as much as possible!

my current motor is a MERCRUISER - (228 H.P. (1984 )
Serial No: 06773972 Model No: 02288344

A guy at the marina offer me the same size motor for a good price, but the motor has a fuel injection system and not a carburetor. What do you guys feel about that?
also a mechanic mention that if I will put a 350 on my current outdrive I will stress the transmission. is that correct?

Bondo

Staff member

Hello! I know that the spill of oil is not a good thing for our ocean, but I had my 9 year old kid and my wife in the boat and it was getting dark and windy, therefore I had no choice but to rush back to a safe area. I am glad the boat die in the entrance of my marina and I was able to get a tow to the service dock. Believe me I respect the planet and try to take care it as much as possible!

my current motor is a MERCRUISER - (228 H.P. (1984 )
Serial No: 06773972 Model No: 02288344

A guy at the marina offer me the same size motor for a good price, but the motor has a fuel injection system and not a carburetor. What do you guys feel about that?
also a mechanic mention that if I will put a 350 on my current outdrive I will stress the transmission. is that correct?

Ayuh,.... For Several Months,..??

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

FYI....Find a new guy at the marina!

1. It will take alot of xtra money and parts (And know how) to convert a Fuel injected system to a 1984 system.......Unlees he has all the wiring harness/module..sensors and such.......Or its a throttle body system, thats do-able.

If he is telling you its gona put extra stress on the transom....He's a B.S. and is trying to make a buck......Unless this is a stroker 383 high output H.P. motor.

Now if your transom is all rotted out than any size motor gona put stres on it.

Walt T

Lieutenant

I used a truck motor for my stroker motor build, just look for roller rocker block though. Found it on Craigslist. Since you're not a mechanic I'd suggest what LiquidC did, purchase a long block from a reputable dealer. Definitely a 350. Perhaps you can look at it this way, you bought a boat for 3K, gonna be at least 3K for a motor, probably 4. So you'll have 7K in the boat. A new boat is 35-70K, a used boat as you know is less. You could buy another 3K boat but it's likely you'll buy its problems too. How important is boating to you?

gonzalez3346

Cadet

I love boating! i use my boat 4-5 times a week!!