I/O half flooded ...help

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just got back from my boat.
To make a long story short, my mercruiser 470 was half flooded up to the belly of the starter.
Is there any way I can save the motor?
Also what device can I use to stick a hose down to the hull to pump out the rest for the water?
Thanks in advance.

Re: I/O half flooded ...help

What caused the water to enter the boat? Your motor might be okay... Is there water in the oil? I'd definitely change the gear oil and engine oil! Why not use a shop vac to suck the water out? Most people have one of those, might have to empty it a few times.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Shop vac is what I would use! Where's your bilge pump and why doesn't it work!?

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If water was only up to your starter belly and not up to the dipstick, you likely did not even get water in your oil. I'd change the oil and filter anyway to see if you get the milky gray look, cheap insurance.

Remove starter, disassemble and clean with electrical cleaner (assuming it was fresh water not salt it should survive)

Get a (or a couple) good automatic bilge pump or a regular bilge pump(s) and a good float switch(s). Sounds like your boat is docked rather than trailer-ed to me so I would definitely go with multiples

Check drive/u-loint bellows real good for cracks - or simply put figure out how you got water in the first place.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

I just got back from my boat.
To make a long story short, my mercruiser 470 was half flooded up to the belly of the starter.
Is there any way I can save the motor?
Also what device can I use to stick a hose down to the hull to pump out the rest for the water?
Thanks in advance.

Can you pull the boat out on a trailer? If so, do that, pull the outdrive and check bellows. Since it only came to the bottom of the starter you are probably ok. But gee wiz, either non functioning or no bildge pump :facepalm:

yamhoss86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If water was only up to your starter belly and not up to the dipstick, you likely did not even get water in your oil. I'd change the oil and filter anyway to see if you get the milky gray look, cheap insurance.

Remove starter, disassemble and clean with electrical cleaner (assuming it was fresh water not salt it should survive)

Get a (or a couple) good automatic bilge pump or a regular bilge pump(s) and a good float switch(s). Sounds like your boat is docked rather than trailer-ed to me so I would definitely go with multiples

Check drive/u-loint bellows real good for cracks - or simply put figure out how you got water in the first place.

Thanks for the reply, i am docked (saltwater) at the moment. It was weird. I have never seen this much water in my boat before. I think i have a crack in the bellows somewhere. Prior to the water intrusion i had raised my outdrive to check if the vents were clogged. I just hope that nothing is wrong with the engine. I am thinking about washing the bottom with freshwater. I am about to order the transom reseal kit, hopefully this will solve the problem. Thanks.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Get the water out anyway you can and for sure rinse it with fresh water, lots of times. Careful putting on a trailer until most of the water is out. It will be very heavy and could damage the trailer or boat with that much weight. You'll be OK, I doubt your engine is ruined, change all the fluids as already suggested.

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd probably perform in this order...

=>remove water from hull... small bilge may not be able to keep up so maybe a couple 1100 bilge pumps or preferably the shop vac .
=>remove boat from water
=>remove drain plug
=>hose off with fresh water
=>remove starter disassemble, blow off with compressed air, clean with electrical cleaner, leave open to air dry
=>remove stern drive
=>inspect drive/u-joint bellows need to KNOW how water got in
=>install transom seal kit assuming it is warranted...you may need a couple specialty tools here, definitely get a gimbal bearing alignment tool if you replace bearing
=>change oil and filter, inspect for grey milky oil
=>I'd probably also pull bottom plug on the stern drive and let a bit of oil out to inspect for water. Likely is none due to oil seals but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't use a shop vac. Ka Boom - if there is any fuel in the water...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

a4_zps23cbf6dd.jpg
to the bottom of the starter should not put water in the engine if you were not leaking engine oil anyplace..battery, battery cables, starter, and anything else that was under water is shot.Once on land pull the outdrive and check the oil for contamination.