Engine bogs at 3100-3300 rpm, 3/4 throttle

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is what happens, when I hit 3100 to 3300 rpm or 3/4 throttle, the engine bogs. If I'm by myself or if 1 heavier person is in front and nobody is in back, the bog is almost eliminated. It is still there but it isn't too bad. Now, if I have a lot of weight in the boat, the bog gets worse. It is very frustrating, especially trying to pull a skiier.

This is what I have: '95 2000sr Maxum with a 4.3 LX. It has a 21P stainless prop. I bought this boat last year as a project. Owner found a cracked block and ended up selling it to me for a good price. I was new to boats, but built a new 4.3 short block and had the original heads reconditioned. The carb is a 4bbl carter/weber. It was "newly" rebuilt and came with the box of parts that I got with the boat. I've had the boat running for a year and have put at least 100 hours+ on it. The boat has no issues going 46 mph (gps) at about 4600 rpm. The ignition system is the thunderbolt 4 (the ignition where you can not lock out the advance by grounding a wire.)

What I have done so far:

carb:
-Rebuilt carb, verified every last detail was correct.
-Verified choke is working correctly and that the secondaries open at the right time.
-air valve is not in a bind and opens up
-swapped out different step up springs for the metering rods
-I have tried every last possible position with the accelerator pump.

ignition:
-adjusted timing per manual...have added and subtracted additional timing trying to see if problem goes away
-new plugs (a few times)
-new wires
-i have never replaced the coil, cap and/or rotor

fuel:
-haven't tested the pump, but it hasn't missed a beat at wot blasts at 46 mph

engine:
-just tested compression, it is 180-185psi across the board
-oil pressure is dead on, coolant temp is around 185 after warm up.

Anyone have any good advise for me? I'm new to boats but have a ton of experience drag racing and building all my own equipment throughout the years, but I mainly deal with fuel injection. This bog has me frustrated lol.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Engine bogs at 3100-3300 rpm, 3/4 throttle

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... It sure sounds like a Carb issue,....

Have ya found this little resource for Our carbs,...

It's the Bible for the Carter clone carbs,....

Btw,.... 185? is way too high,... Change the Impeller,...
ya oughta be seein' 'bout 160? to 170?,...

Last edited:

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. I will change the impeller. Found one thing out tonight! lol.

I would expect this engine to have a little more horsepower over the stock. It should be really good around the 3k rpm range with the cam I put in it. Plus I had the heads milled and the pistons actually come out of the hole .0002". I didn't calculate the compression ratio but I'd guestimate it to be .5 better than stock...at least. Also the cam has a flat torque curve from 2K-4K.

anyone know what a '95 2000sr maxum's performance was like when new?

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the reply. I will change the impeller. Found one thing out tonight! lol.

Ayuh,.... Our carbs are Very tunable,...
Read that link, 'n you'll figure out whether it's goin' lean at the end of 1 step, or at the beginin' of the next,...

Spend some time lookin' 'round the Adults Only section too,...
Don packed it with Alota the most useful Info you could ask for,...

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to that edelbrock manual, my dead spot maybe in the jet size for the secondaries. If memory serves me correctly, both primary and secondary jets were the same size, and they are both on the lean cruise and power mode. Maybe the added power I hopefully added to engine is needing a bigger jet size. Hmmmm, looks like i will be ordering a tuning kit....or a Holley.

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks like I will be ordering the edelbrock pn 1488 kit to fine tune this turd

silvert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 1488 kit is for the 1409 edelbrock carb. My carb is technically a weber 9600s. Is the 1488 kit correct then?

Bondo

Staff member

The 1488 kit is for the 1409 edelbrock carb. My carb is technically a weber 9600s. Is the 1488 kit correct then?

Ayuh,... Yer carb is the 1409,...

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Just to add to what Bondo said......Go ahead and replace the cap and rotor...that way it's in tip top shape.