470 riser gasket

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class
hello guys has anyone ever use a sierra riser gasket on the riser of a 470 ? the one i pulled off was like steel in the middle and new one was green fiber material . i still am losing coalant and i dont know if its because of this thanks for help guys

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 470 riser gasket

The one with the steel in it has been superseded by the fiber one. Live-liner's suggestion is a good one, go OEM. You might want to do a compression check and a cooling system pressure test to track down your leak. You can borrow the tools from Autozone.

Live-liner

Seaman

Did you replace the riser and or manifold? If I recall correctly, you had previously posted some pics of a manifold in horrible condition...
Maybe I'm thinking of a different post?

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you replace the riser and or manifold? If I recall correctly, you had previously posted some pics of a manifold in horrible condition...
Maybe I'm thinking of a different post?

I replaced the riser the manifold was cracked but
That was only the baffle plat between the exhaust not antifreeze. Aim not ruling out head gasket but don't want to change it if its just the riser gasket . Is there a way I can find out if its defiantly the riser. Gasket ? It runs fine but aim getting a/f in the oil. Thanks for your replies

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class

Btw compression test is good 135 - 150 lbs

BrianD1973

Seaman Apprentice

Could it be the notorious cam shaft's 2 seals have failed? Someone plug up your weep hole? I'm new to the problem but have seen some mention that issue... and it leading to a/f in oil.... ????

Live-liner

Seaman

Did you perform the cooling system pressure test like Stonyloam suggested????

If you are losing coolant, it should become evident there. If you are losing pressure it means coolant is leaking out. After the test, pull the plugs and check for coolant in your cylinders. If it's there, then you'll have to suck it up and replace the manifold and or elbow. Definately get rid of that Sierra gasket.The picture of your manifold did not look good. That is probably the culprit. The surface area that the elbow gasket goes on must be solid, smooth, flat and without any pitting or etching. If you are trying to salvage it, at least have a machine shop mill down the surface. You've had a lot of great advice from some amazing marine mechanics and trouble shooters. It might not always be what we want to hear, but it's time to use it, and get yer boat in the water!

Good luck!

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class

brian i ran paper clip in the weep hole several times no a/f came out . live liner if i pressure test the system then pull the plugs will it be very noticeable if a/f was getting in there ? when i had the riser off i filled the manifold with a/f and it held for two days .now i know there was no pressure but do you think it still could be the manifold ? thanks for all your help guys

Live-liner

Seaman

>Get the kit from autozone.
>Pressurize the system.
>If does not hold pressure, find the leak
>If leak is not external (where you can see it) check every fitting, hose, gasket etc. Then it is internal, on mine you could actually hear it's gurgling it's way into the cylinders
>Pull plugs and look at top of cylinders (probably #3, and #4). If you can' see it, turn over the motor and look for mist. If there is a good amount in there it will shoot out. I hit my neighbors bedroom window (werent happy but that's a story for another time).
>If it's not leaking into the cylinders and not leaking externally, then maybe the internal seal on the cam / water pump is allowing it to leak inside.

I am certainly not as experienced as some people on here and don't want to lead you down the wrong path. If someone else on this forum has any other advice that is contradictory it won't hurt my feelings. Just trying to help, I have had this same issue this year, and this is what got me through it.

Good luck,
Dave

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class

live liner i did pressure test the system i found leaks on hoses and a bad hose ,termostat hosing as well replaced everthing pressurized system and held alot better but still went down 1 to 2 lbs in about 25 min . right now iam losing about 16 oz of a/f in a 50 mile trip and its getting in to oil i just changed the oil again because is was getting higher on the dipstick .and it was milky mess . even though on the dip stick it looked good. btw iam using water in closed system now not a/f untill i figure it out . you said you could here it were you getting a/f in your oil ? iam thinking of pressurizing the system again and taking the upper bellow off and exhuast pipe if the riser gasket is leaking maybe i can here it . let me know your thought . also you said the sierra gasket only lasted a hour how did you know it went bad ?

Last edited:

Live-liner

Seaman

also you said the sierra gasket only lasted a hour how did you know it went bad ?
I knew it went bad because it stopped holding pressure and #3 and #4 were full of antifreeze again.

iam thinking of pressurizing the system again and taking the upper bellow off and exhuast pipe if the riser gasket is leaking maybe i can here it
I could hear it from two feet awy. Try putting your ear on the elbow while pressurized or use a block of wood.

If you can't find anything, maybe it's a cracked block???? Are you in a winter climate?? Has it ever froze?? That would be beyond my help but I'm sure if you started a new thread (after you perform your troubleshooting, and after you are sure it's nothing you have overlooked), that someone with more expertise could walk you through that process. I think you can pressure check, but am not sure.

I still believe you are not getting a good seal between your manifold and riser, but am completely out of suggestions now.
Good luck!

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you I will try to listen for a leak block was never frozen problem began this year after it ran good in the begining of the season one day got back to the dock and notice oil level was up .and that was when i discovered hole in riser and bad hoses everthing i found bad i fixed

Live-liner

Seaman

:facepalm:No, no, no! You havent addressed that manifold that you previously posted pics of!:facepalm:

I would be willing to bet that if you were to clean that surface (judging from the corroded condition it was in) and post a pic, there probably isn't enough surface left on it to seal the gasket.

This was mine, note the etching and porous, corroded mounting surface that the gasket goes on. This surface should be a clean, smooth, machined surface. If it is not, NO BRAND of gasket will seal it. The pic you posted looked like it was in worse shape than this one. If it is not, then I appolgize. If it is, it needs replacement!

Attachments

• manifold1a.jpg
    manifold1a.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1