Mercruiser goes into reverse but won't engage into forward.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I have finally got the engine ticking over fine. I can clunk her into reverse lovely and smoothly, but she grinds and dies when I try to engage forward. Be it a swiftly motion or slowly. It makes a horrible whirring noise, and the lever is being pushed to max but still no joy. It whet into forward fine yesterday, but not reverse!? I thought the revs where to low and that's why she died when engaging reverse. Putting the revs up cured that, but now forward won't engage. Confused!!!! I have only altered the idle and mixture on the carb, not any if the gear cables and pre load as this all seemed fine. Please help!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser goes into reverse but won't engage into forward.

Did you remove the throttle cable and reset the brass (might be plastic) anchor point barrel? If the cable is now too tight then that can load the control box and cause hard shifting...

Chris.....

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All the cables are back in as before, what's throwing me out is that yesterday it would engage into forward drive fine, but clunk hard into reverse and die. This morning, I adjusted the idle and mixture a bit. That's all. Now it slips into reverse beautifully, but really bangs, crunches and grinds into forward gear. Like going straight into third on a car. I can't get the trundle adjusted, because when froward does eventually go in, she would be moving too fast for say, berthing slowly and under control.

What RPM do you have the idle set at?

and.....

What engine, year and outdrive are we talking about here??

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Revs at 650-700 I'm guessing (rev counter not working). GM 4 cylinder 181 cid 3.0L 1999. Mercruiser alpha 1 Gen 2 drive.

Bondo

Staff member

Revs at 650-700 I'm guessing (rev counter not working). GM 4 cylinder 181 cid 3.0L 1999. Mercruiser alpha 1 Gen 2 drive.

Ayuh,.... Ya Need a tach,... 1000 rpms, Sounds like 700 rpms,...

Idle speed in forward is as Slow as the driveline will go,...
If that's Too fast, pull back to neutral, 'n drift,...

Not knowin' the back-story,....
I'd guess the lower cable is worn out, with to much slop if it can't be adjusted to reach full forward, 'n full reverse,...

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is my conundrum, it engaged into forward but not reverse, then after playing with the revs, it's now the opposite. Reverse but not forward. Would the cable have stretched just by playing with the throttle a few times? She was tied to the dock as I was doing this. I have only just got her ticking over after some carb problems, and wanted to make sure that she ran okay under load. Thanks for you help so far. Mike.

Last edited:

achris

Hi Mike,

For folks not up with your other threads it's always best to restate the engine and drive in the opening post...

1998 3.0L Alpha one Gen II. If you have serial numbers, post those too. ALWAYS want serial numbers... ;)

I'm trying to equate your work on the carb with your current problem. All I can think of is the shift interrupt switch. You didn't disconnect it and not re-connect it for any reason did you? Or bypass it to check the timing?

Chris....

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roger that. Transom serial number is OL287387. Drive seal number is OL406238, Engine number is 0L097202. Carb was unhooked from links, taken off, cleaned, replaced with new gasket kit. The idle and mixture needles where put back on and reset to factory positions. 1-1/4 turns etc. nothing else was taken off or replaced as it was suggested that I had a blocked idler jet. Turns out that it was the mixture needle at the base of the carb being wound out around 8 turns. It had come loose with the previous owner. I now have a Tach, so am hoping that the correct revs will finally end my problems. Fingers crossed! I do however need the correct revs for 1- idle in neutral 2- revs in forward gear and 3- revs in reverse gear. Can't thank you guys enough for all the help so far.

achris

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

U R A Star. How do I send you a six pack of Fosters?! Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again mate. Mike.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for the needle being wound so far out, it's because the spring that wraps around it has lost it's tension, thus during transport from marina storage to marina jetty, (8 miles of bumpy road by the way), it must have worked loose. I'm on the hunt for a replacement spring to keep the needle at the correct setting.

achris

As for the needle being wound so far out, it's because the spring that wraps around it has lost it's tension, thus during transport from marina storage to marina jetty, (8 miles of bumpy road by the way), it must have worked loose. I'm on the hunt for a replacement spring to keep the needle at the correct setting.

Mercury part# 3302-9053. Cost about $4 from any Merc dealer... (The beauty of having an engine serial number ;))

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fixed. The forward gear cable had wound loose. Now fine. Thanks.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fixed. The forward gear cable had wound loose. Now fine. Thanks.