alpha one gen 1 outdrive not shifting stuck in forward gear

sme5

Cadet
Trying this for the first time so here we go. I have an alpha one gen one outdrive that is stuck in forward gear and stays there wether you pull into reverse or forward. just replace water pump and seals. can not find a break down on the shift shaft and cable assembly can anyone help

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: alpha one gen 1 outdrive not shifting stuck in forward gear

Welcome to iboats sme5.

Are you sure the shift shaft is mated up with the shift cable when the lower was put back on?

2011-08-06_122038_shiftfork.jpg

When you shift the boat do you see the above pictured shift shaft move?

This part is right at the front of the lower outdrive unit where it meets the upper outdrive unit.

sme5

Cadet

Welcome to iboats sme5.

Are you sure the shift shaft is mated up with the shift cable when the lower was put back on?

View attachment 209475

When you shift the boat do you see the above pictured shift shaft move?

This part is right at the front of the lower outdrive unit where it meets the upper outdrive unit.

i believe so. Made sure it was in forward gear and turned shift shaft to forward gear. went together ok and all seemed good accept it was hard to get into neutral. had to pull back just into reverse to get into neutral. did not check what yo have in picture can this come undone when removing lower part of outdrive.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

When you did the water pump, did you remove the whole drive and split it 'on the bench', or just remove the gear housing and leave the drive-shaft housing attached to the boat?

Chris....

sme5

Cadet

just split the lower from the upper and left the upper on the boat.

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The camera angle in the picture is at the transom looking back at the outdrive. You can see the front bolt for the lower in the picture also.

The C shaped piece facing down stays with the upper drive unit. The shift shaft finger on the lower fits right inside it. In forward gear it should point (12 o'clock) right at the transom.

That shift shaft sits into some splines on the lower. Its also easy when working on the lower to have it lift up and it may be off a tooth on those splines.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

just split the lower from the upper and left the upper on the boat.

Sounds like you might have missed the splines by one tooth.... Sorry, gotta drop it and start again. Also check you have the rubber washer and SS washer over the top of the lower shift shaft (the one in the gear housing)....

Chris.....

sme5

Cadet

Sounds like you might have missed the splines by one tooth.... Sorry, gotta drop it and start again. Also check you have the rubber washer and SS washer over the top of the lower shift shaft (the one in the gear housing)....

Chris.....

i will check all that and see how it goes. thank you for all the help

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

...all seemed good accept it was hard to get into neutral. had to pull back just into reverse to get into neutral.

A common problem is forgetting the stainless steel washer that sits on top of the lower shift shaft. But it that instance you cannot shift gears at all.

It sounds from what you describe that your shift interrupt switch is not functioning correctly. Either disconnected or out of adjustment.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

OK, turn the prop counterclockwise, if it locks and the control moves freely back and forth then you are in forward and you have lost the stainless steel washer from the lower shift shaft and the the intermediate shift shaft has dropped down and is not linked to the upper shift shaft (drop the lower and replace the washer). If the prop locks clockwise, then you are in reverse and you are "off a spline" with the intermediate shift shaft (drop the lower, turn the lower shift shaft all the way clockwise, turn prop counterclockwise till it locks and hold in place with a bungee, put it back together).

sme5

Cadet

ok here we go. got the drive split wanted to check washers. there is only a stainless washer on top of the shift shaft now rubber not sure what it even should look like. also I have to throttle leaver all the way forward engaged and the picture you sent me above is not right or left it is in the middle. the stainless washer is caved in so bad it is almost a cone shape. what should I be looking at or looking for here.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

ok here we go. got the drive split wanted to check washers. there is only a stainless washer on top of the shift shaft now rubber not sure what it even should look like. also I have to throttle leaver all the way forward engaged and the picture you sent me above is not right or left it is in the middle. the stainless washer is caved in so bad it is almost a cone shape. what should I be looking at or looking for here.
Straight forward (for the connection between the intermediate and upper shift shafts) is what you are looking for (and sounds like what you have observed...good). The view in the photo is actually showing you what the shifter shoe and mating foot will look like when the drive is in neutral.
What (we) were trying to make sure of is that you had the washer in place that would keep the shift shafts engaged as shown in the foto. Without that washer, the intermediate shaft would be lower and "out of the shoe" of the upper shift shaft.

Sounds like you need to get a new stainless steel washer, and the rubber washer that goes below it (a bit smaller diameter). Guess you could try and beat the one youve got flat again, but this is a short-cut/work around. (Probably got cone shaped by someone trying to force the shift shafts together while not aligned when mating the upper to the lower).

Now that you have the lower off, rotate the splined lower shift shaft all the way clockwise to put you in FWD, while rotating your prop CCW (looking at the prop) to "lock" it in FWD and hold the prop there with a bungie cord. Now you are set up for proper reassembly of lower to upper (at least as far as the shift shafts go.)

Once you get the lower bolted back up to upper, remove the bungie cord, shift the drive to reverse, and try to turn the prop CW and make sure it "locks"; it should also "ratchet" when turning CCW. Go bact to neutral and see if it free wheels each way, the go back to fwd and rotate the prop CCW again to verify the lock, and verify ratcheting when turning CW.

After this you should be ready for pressure test and then filling with oil and testing on muffs. Best of luck!

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

the stainless washer is caved in so bad it is almost a cone shape. what should I be looking at or looking for here.

That is your problem. Flatten it out or replace it. The reason it is cone shaped is that when it was bolted together the intermediate shaft did not engage the upper correctly (likely crosswise), and the pressure form bolting it together bent the washer.

sme5

Cadet

thanks for the info guys. got the lower lined up good with the upper replaced washer and all is good there. found that my lower shift cable came undone from the plastic end up that the shift assembly by the carb. i cut off about 5/8 of the cable and reattached to the plastic piece and bolted back on. readjusted the cables and made them as close as i could wanted to see if this was a bad idea or not havent had time to test on the muffs to see if it worked or not

Bondo

Staff member

thanks for the info guys. got the lower lined up good with the upper replaced washer and all is good there. found that my lower shift cable came undone from the plastic end up that the shift assembly by the carb. i cut off about 5/8 of the cable and reattached to the plastic piece and bolted back on. readjusted the cables and made them as close as i could wanted to see if this was a bad idea or not havent had time to test on the muffs to see if it worked or not

Ayuh,.... My guess is,... Yer gonna need to Replace the cable,...

sme5

Cadet
getting in and out of gear alpha one gen one

getting in and out of gear alpha one gen one

ok i posted a question a few days ago about being stuck in forward gear. fixed the washer on the lower drive. found that the lower shift cable had come lose from plastic piece on top of engine. cut about 5/8 inch off cable that was all messed up. i know this is not correct to do but need to know if i can make up for that in the adjustments. did all of the cable adjustments to speck and now i have reverse and neutral but no forward engagement just throttle in forward,

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: getting in and out of gear alpha one gen one

Bond-o suggested in your previous post, and is correct on it sounds, you need a new shift cable.

Bondo

Staff member

ok i posted a question a few days ago about being stuck in forward gear. fixed the washer on the lower drive. found that the lower shift cable had come lose from plastic piece on top of engine. cut about 5/8 inch off cable that was all messed up. i know this is not correct to do but need to know if i can make up for that in the adjustments. did all of the cable adjustments to speck and now i have reverse and neutral but no forward engagement just throttle in forward,

Ayuh,... So why'd ya start a 2nd thread, 'bout the Same Exact Issue,....

Cut it out, 'n Don't do that,....

You have a thread on this issue, Use it,....
Startin' new threads, just creatives Confusion for Everybody,....

sme5

Cadet

ok i am getting ready to order shift cable like you guys said should i just get cable or since i am in there should i get the bellows for everything bellow look ok from what i can see. wanted to see if you can usually get everything off with out tearing or destroying the others

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would replace the u-joint bellow and the shift cable boot if you don't have any history on when it was done last.

Grease the u-joints while you are in there and inspect the rest.

Don't forget the outdrive mounting gasket set also.

Last edited: