purple resistance wire heating up at coil

Perkins2652

Cadet
Re: purple resistance wire heating up at coil

My alternator broke down internal wise replaced that fixed my wire heating issue since the purple wire runs from the alt to the coil might be differant on yours but it solved my problem 100% just throwing it out there the wire shorted out inside the alternator

zannidave

Cadet

Ok i do not have a ballast resistor, what kind of ballast resistor would i need? Or would it be easier to just put in a 3.0 ohm coil and ignitor 2?

The resistor wire is in place of a ballast resistor. I may be mistaken... as I still run points, but from what I've read on other threads, the resistance wire is no longer used when you install the pertronix kit. You run a new standard purple wire off the choke's purple (or any 12-volt switched ignition wire) and tape off the resistance wire.

Remove all wires off the (-) terminal on the coil EXCEPT the wire that runs to the distributor. Remove the Grey wire (tachometer sender) and the wire running to the shift interruptor. and try it. This is also of coarse with full 12-volts to the (+) terminal on the coil and not using the resistance wire.

The tach and shift interruptor can both kill your spark if something isn't right with them so remove them temporarily to see if you have spark.

Last edited:

zannidave

Cadet

ok I will try that. am I supposed to have more that one wire on the - terminal of the coil? the wiring diagram that I have shows just the gray and a black from the distributor which was replaced by the black wire from the pertronix correct? im not sure if there is still supposed to be a black wire from the coil to the distributor body. is that something that I missed?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

They should be 3 wires on the coil-... One for the Pertronix, one to the tacho and one to the shift cutout switch....

zannidave

Cadet

Ok i have only two. There is the tach gray wire and the pertroinx black wire. The **** cut off is wired with the tach don't know why it is like that. My wiring diagram also shows it the way it's on my motor. I know there is a lot of different ways they wired motors. Should I have three on the - side of the coil if my diagram only shows two?

alldodge

Staff member

Ok i have only two. There is the tach gray wire and the pertroinx black wire. The **** cut off is wired with the tach don't know why it is like that. My wiring diagram also shows it the way it's on my motor. I know there is a lot of different ways they wired motors. Should I have three on the - side of the coil if my diagram only shows two?

You have three wires attached to the - coil side, they all don't have to be directly attached to the coil. Being attached tach is the same as the coil electricly, Sounds like your ok

zannidave

Cadet

ok great. I think I located a problem. I bypassed the resistance wire and hooked up everything accordingly. when I turned the ignition to the on position my fuse popped for my ignition. I traced this and found the purple/yellow going to the coil from the starter was the wire causing the fuse to pop. I remove it from the starter and the circuit does not pop. the starter works great at turning the motor but this means I have to replace the starter right?
it seems like a dumb question but im not about to throw money away. im used to replacing a starter when it doesn't turn the engine anymore.

alldodge

Staff member

ok great. I think I located a problem. I bypassed the resistance wire and hooked up everything accordingly. when I turned the ignition to the on position my fuse popped for my ignition. I traced this and found the purple/yellow going to the coil from the starter was the wire causing the fuse to pop. I remove it from the starter and the circuit does not pop. the starter works great at turning the motor but this means I have to replace the starter right?
it seems like a dumb question but im not about to throw money away. im used to replacing a starter when it doesn't turn the engine anymore.

The pur/yel wire should be on the + side of the coil
Exactley how did you bypass the resistance wire?

zannidave

Cadet

So what I did is I traced the resistance wire back to the harness where it connects to the purple wires going to the choke and the alternator, then I replaced the resistor wire with a regular non resistance wire and attached It to the + side of the coil. Yes the purple/yellow wire is going to the + on the coil.

alldodge

Staff member

You have a short of some sort. Your starter turns over the engine so there is nothing wrong with it. You didn't have this problem until you replaced the resistance wire, so something happened during your connection process.

zannidave

Cadet

ok so I put the wiring back to original and I am still having the same problem. the purple wire is getting hot. but like I previously posted its only when I hook the purple/yellow wire up to the yellow/red on the starter when the ignition is on. the fuse doesn't pop anymore but the wire gets hot to the touch. I get a spark from the terminal the yellow/red is on when I touch the purple/yellow to it. ive worked on cars a lot and ive never seen that happen but I know boats are different beasts. is it possible the starter itself is good but the contacts on the solenoid are going bad internally?
im honestly racking my brain on this one

Do you have a digital multi meter that can read continuity (will beep when the test leads touch together).... simple test with it..
Gound one lead to a good known ground.

Test wires you are suspect of a short by isolating it and touching the other lead to it.

If the meter beeps that wire is touching ground. (Can test the starter terminal as well). it should not beep.