Mercruiser Sterndrive 1973 HOw to replace or clean the trim pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombbender05

Cadet
I need a diagram or really good instructions. Trim pump leaking on the bottom. Has 4 bolts. Any help would be great, just don't want to pull it apart and ruin it.

Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercruiser Sterndrive 1973 HOw to replace or clean the trim pump

Plenty of info to post. without knowing what you have its impossable.Have never seen one with 4, what is it connected to?

bombbender05

Cadet

00707_iBgcrlXoZlv_600x450.jpg

This is close to what I have, where the high and low lines connect, it leaks between that. Four bolts hold it on, think its o rings. Where do I get the o rings at? What else comes out if I remove the bolts? hate surprises... thanks

bombbender05

Cadet

View attachment 208659

This is close to what I have, bottom plate where lines connect, it leaks between that. Four bolts hold it on, think its o rings. Where do I get the o rings at? What else comes out if I remove the bolts? hate surprises... thanks

mainexile

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 208659

This is close to what I have, bottom plate where lines connect, it leaks between that. Four bolts hold it on, think its o rings. Where do I get the o rings at? What else comes out if I remove the bolts? hate surprises... thanks

Those four bolts hold the control valve to the bottom of the reservoir. Removal will reveal four "o" rings (I believe they're #7's) there is no rim gasket between the control valve and the reservoir. Clean the mating surfaces and replace the o-rings. Then reassemble in reverse of disassembly. I had a SERIOUS leak on my trim pump -exact same type that you have - and I couldn't pinpoint the source. So I ended up replacing the lines as well. It turned out that the semi-clear nylon line from the control valve to the reverse lockout had a small split by the control valve, and the leak widened whenever it was pressurized. See if this solves your problem. I should point out that there is a possibility that the reservoir bottom plate o-ring has failed. Replacement parts are relatively easy to find, but if your trim pump is located where mine is, you'll pull out your hair trying to remove the entire pump assembly. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Untitledttt_zpsfc011f99.jpg

tauket2

Cadet

Those four bolts hold the control valve to the bottom of the reservoir. Removal will reveal four "o" rings (I believe they're #7's) there is no rim gasket between the control valve and the reservoir. Clean the mating surfaces and replace the o-rings. Then reassemble in reverse of disassembly. I had a SERIOUS leak on my trim pump -exact same type that you have - and I couldn't pinpoint the source. So I ended up replacing the lines as well. It turned out that the semi-clear nylon line from the control valve to the reverse lockout had a small split by the control valve, and the leak widened whenever it was pressurized. See if this solves your problem. I should point out that there is a possibility that the reservoir bottom plate o-ring has failed. Replacement parts are relatively easy to find, but if your trim pump is located where mine is, you'll pull out your hair trying to remove the entire pump assembly. Forewarned is forearmed. Good luck.

So, did you ultimately pull the entire assembly out?

Status
Not open for further replies.