Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets? merc 4

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone used, or using Permatex The Right Stuff to replace some of the gaskets on your engine?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets? me

I tried it once on a car engine, not a fan. I prefer the reinforced 1 piece rubber gaskets for oil pans and valve covers, dressed with permatex aviation gasket sealer.

IGeeky1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Permatex Right Stuff gasket maker to replace valve cover and oil pan gaskets? me

I tried it once on a car engine, not a fan. I prefer the reinforced 1 piece rubber gaskets for oil pans and valve covers, dressed with permatex aviation gasket sealer.

+1 for reuseable rubber gaskets!
I only ever use permatex on one side of these quality gaskets if at all and it allows me to take of valve covers for maintenance and reuse gasket with good oil seal remaining besides I HATE cleaning up cork or create-a-gaskets

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

makes sense. not sure if i can find cut to fit rubber gaskets for a '79 merc 470. the first cork one i tried on the oil pan with permatex #2 was a fail. could have been the installer using too much sealant, either way the gasket was destroyed.

oldjeep

Admiral

makes sense. not sure if i can find cut to fit rubber gaskets for a '79 merc 470. the first cork one i tried on the oil pan with permatex #2 was a fail. could have been the installer using too much sealant, either way the gasket was destroyed.

Doesn't a Merc 470 have 460 Ford head on it? If so then you might wind up with an extra valve cover gasket, but I guarantee they make them. The 460 in my streetrod uses them ;)

montejw360

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Doesn't a Merc 470 have 460 Ford head on it? If so then you might wind up with an extra valve cover gasket, but I guarantee they make them. The 460 in my streetrod uses them ;)

never thought about that, but yes, it's supposed to be a 460 head. should be plenty of valve cover gaskets for those available.

thanks