1987 mercruiser 470-170hp water pump replace ? maybe 1986 eng in 87 boat

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 mercruiser 470-170hp water pump replace ? maybe 1986 eng in 87 boat

Was not too bad i replaced bearings / races /seals in upper -- took apart lower and checked every thing was AOK in lower thanks for that -- shifts smoothly --pumps water with muffs on --i will be putting in water later tomorrow to see if it can pump on its own,with new impeller and engine water pump repaired it should.
I ran it for at least 1/2 hour on muffs and sat in front of temp gauge as it went to 160 degrees it did open and drop to just under 140 -- after a lil bit --
but now after putting interior back in i have two carpeted pieces that go next to engine somewhere and i cant remember--if someone has a picture of open engine hatch would be great !!!! thanks for all the help

1987 winner escape 1700 470 with sun deck over engine not a dog house style

Last edited:

jamescell

Recruit

Mine just started weeping for the 3rd time since I bought the boat and I would rather not go thru the whole process of fixing again.. Would there be any negative effects of just leaving the existing water pump unconnected and using an externally mounted belt driven pump?

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not a way to bypass that i know of ? thru water passages on front of engine water still runs around front of cam/pump impeller -- it is a pain in *** but go with the speedi sleeve it will only save you lots of $$$$ later

fixing again ? what did you do the first time ?

jamescell

Recruit

not a way to bypass that i know of ? thru water passages on front of engine water still runs around front of cam/pump impeller -- it is a pain in *** but go with the speedi sleeve it will only save you lots of $$$$ later

fixing again ? what did you do the first time ?
I actually had a shop do the job, twice. It's not that I can't do it, I just never have the time. So now my hands are in the air, is this really worth it? Lol. There has to be a better way.

jamescell

Recruit

I actually had a shop do the job, twice. It's not that I can't do it, I just never have the time. So now my hands are in the air, is this really worth it? Lol. There has to be a better way.
I just pulled my water pump, and as I suspected I fubared it... When removing the timing chain cover the oil pan gasket came with it.. It kinda looked like it was torn before I even started. Any one have a better solution to fixing that than pull the motor and replace the whole gasket? Currently the motor is completely bolted in the boat as I was able to pull every thing without removing or raising the engine.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I just pulled my water pump, and as I suspected I fubared it... When removing the timing chain cover the oil pan gasket came with it.. It kinda looked like it was torn before I even started. Any one have a better solution to fixing that than pull the motor and replace the whole gasket?

I do. Take a single edge razor blade and trim the torn gasket at the edges, then clean the remaining material off the pan and timing cover. Buy some gasket material of the correct thickness and using the bottom of the timing cover as a pattern cut a new gasket section. Fit that on the pan and trim as closely as you can. then use some form-a-gasket on the outside edges to seal it. Should do the job.

I spent crazy time carefully cutting/separating the gasket from the cover only to destroy it as well. I had a spare pan gasket.... Cut out the section of it which is sealed to the cover, put some dabs of RTV in the corners and let it set. Hasn't dropped a peep of oil yet.

jamescell

Recruit

I spent crazy time carefully cutting/separating the gasket from the cover only to destroy it as well. I had a spare pan gasket.... Cut out the section of it which is sealed to the cover, put some dabs of RTV in the corners and let it set. Hasn't dropped a peep of oil yet.
Sweet! Thanks guys!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I have a brand new gasket sitting on my shelf that I bought for that exact purpose, think it cost like $80 so I just couldn't bring myself to cut it :facepalm:. Think I spent 4 bucks for a roll of gasket material:D