Motor barley turning over, wont start , Neg Battery terminal and wire super hot!

danbradt

Recruit
Hey Everyone. So im new to this whole thing.
I have a 93 Bayliner inboard and when we put it in the water the other day and tried to start it, it barley turned over and wouldnt start. I tried it a few times checked all the connections to make sure they were tight, and tried to start it again. ANd again it was turning over slow slow slow then motor shook like it wanted to start then it would turn real slow. So naturaly im thinking the battery is just real dead. WHen i turn the key to the on position the gage reads 12 when i try to turn it over, the gage drops to the lowest point at 8. So when i went to disconnect the battery, the Neg terminal and wire were so hot it burned my fingers. So i guess im wondering if im looking at a bad cell in the Battery? or a bad starter? My friend told me it sounds like its drawing to much power and that could be a sign of a bad starter. The weekend before i took the boat out and when i turned the key it started almost instantly. So can someone please help....

Thank you

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motor barley turning over, wont start , Neg Battery terminal and wire super hot!

battery cable ends at starter and block,loose /corroded connections

danbradt

Recruit
Re: Motor barley turning over, wont start , Neg Battery terminal and wire super hot!

I check all of them and they are nice and tight and clean. at the starter end they have the ruber boots on them too and there clean

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

12v is an almost dead battery. Charge it up get it load tested and if it fails replace it. If it passes the load test, it should work fine.

Also make sure the ground cable is good. Just being tight doesn't help if it's cracked and corrosion has swelled up the cable in one spot.

danbradt

Recruit

12v is an almost dead battery. Charge it up get it load tested and if it fails replace it. If it passes the load test, it should work fine.

Also make sure the ground cable is good. Just being tight doesn't help if it's cracked and corrosion has swelled up the cable in one spot.

All of the wires are in nice shape. when i was at the marina i pulled the battery and they hooked it up quick to check it and they claimed it was good. Should i just run it to advaced auto and have them check it? im at work right now wo when i get home i will re inspect the wires.

alldodge

Staff member

It could also be the connectors them selves. Resistance at a connection just like a heating element gets hot when electric passes through it. The more resistance the more amps is needed to pass the connection, and a starter needs a lot of amps. Either try another cable, double up on the cables maybe with good set of jumper cables or cut the connector off and put on another.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey Everyone. So im new to this whole thing.
I have a 93 Bayliner inboard and when we put it in the water the other day and tried to start it, it barley turned over and wouldnt start. I tried it a few times checked all the connections to make sure they were tight, and tried to start it again. ANd again it was turning over slow slow slow then motor shook like it wanted to start then it would turn real slow. So naturaly im thinking the battery is just real dead. WHen i turn the key to the on position the gage reads 12 when i try to turn it over, the gage drops to the lowest point at 8. So when i went to disconnect the battery, the Neg terminal and wire were so hot it burned my fingers. So i guess im wondering if im looking at a bad cell in the Battery? or a bad starter? My friend told me it sounds like its drawing to much power and that could be a sign of a bad starter. The weekend before i took the boat out and when i turned the key it started almost instantly. So can someone please help....

Thank you

Ayuh,... That connection mighta been Tight, but it weren't Clean, 'n corrosion free,...

When a terminal gets HOT,....

It's dirty, 'n has a Poor connection, electrically speakin',...

Resistance, Equals Heat,...

blackrider

Seaman

I had the same problem. Terminals looked really clean where they connect to the battery but up inside the wiring it was all corroded. Didn't see it until I cut back the rubber shielding. Mine got so hot it actually melted the battery post and the terminal fell off. I replaced both negative and positive wires and it doesn't get hot anymore.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Clean as in sand paper / wire brush. You should probably replace cables since the ground got hot. Some have also said don't use the wing nuts on the battery - use nuts and a wrench. I just use pliers on the nuts.