350 Chevy Compatibility

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I currently have two 350 Chevy v8s in my boat( Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2) . Both motors have the complete rear main seal/crank (not two pieces), and the space where a manual fuel pump world be placed is cast over. The cam is a roller. I don't suspect that there is much HP gain due to the roller cam but not having a place to put a manual fuel pump really sucks. Will the current flywheel installed on these motors work on older 350 setup? I quickly realized that the intake manifolds are different with the inbound bolts off center a bit on later model 350s. But, If I have access to an older block, I'd like to know if it would bolt up correctly and match my outdrive housing/flywheel. Would there be any problems mounting coupler????

kbsunlovers

Cadet
Re: 350 Chevy Compatibility

The pre-86ish 2 piece Rear Main Seal motors have a different flywheel and bolt pattern (the counterweight is actually part of the flange on the end of the crank rather than cast into the flywheel). Thus, different coupler was standard. You may (and this isn't a promise) be able to use the triangular coupler if you're able to fit a 14" flywheel. Anyone please feel free to correct if I'm wrong here.

Your only issue is the fuel pumps? There are a number of threads here detailing how to safely fit electrics - seems like that would be much less elbow grease.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

The way i understand it is...

The 1 pc rear main is 1986 and newer.... up to 1995

1996 and newer is the vortec which has the different intake bolt pattern

1985 and under is 2 pc and the couplers are different.

Michigan motors does make a adaptor coupler to go from a 2 pc flywheel to a 1 pc main flywheel set up...... Its is for updating an older set up inner transom to a newer 1 pc block....

Bondo

Staff member

The way i understand it is...

The 1 pc rear main is 1986 and newer.... up to 1995

1996 and newer is the vortec which has the different intake bolt pattern

1985 and under is 2 pc and the couplers are different.

Michigan motors does make a adaptor coupler to go from a 2 pc flywheel to a 1 pc main flywheel set up...... Its is for updating an older set up inner transom to a newer 1 pc block....

Ayuh,... You have it Right, except the 1 pc rear main is Still in production,...

In '96, the Vortec heads were added to the same production blocks,...

If ya drop what I hi-lighted, yer absolutely Correct,...

We can also add that in '79 the dipstick swapped sides of the motor,...