Circ pump squealing??? (2004 Merc 5.0L MPI)

KetchiMan

Seaman
Merc 5.0L MPI, serial # OWO18920

So I'm getting a relatively minor squeal at mid-range rpm (1200 or so) and higher. It sounds like its coming from the circ. pump. Idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and PS pump have been replaced in the last 2 months, and the raw water pump replaced last year. The sound is definitely not coming form the alternator, so it seems like that circ pump is all that's left.

I removed the belt and turned the circ pump manually and it makes a very slight noise. It turns easily and there is no grinding or wiggle, but there is a very slight noise...

What do I do? Can I do more diagnostic that this? Just go ahead and replace it (it's about $80- $100 for the part)?

Has anybody replaced on of these? Is it pretty straightforward? Any tips or advice before diving in? Cautions???

Thanks,
-Nick

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Circ pump squealing??? (2004 Merc 5.0L MPI)

Sounds are hard to explain verbably and much more so in type, as I'm sure your aware of. If you have a drill and a buffing wheel attachment or some other wheel you can put on it, place it aginst the pully and let the drill spin it up. If it sounds about the same may need to replace. A water pump should not spueel and it does appear you have the location found but you can give this a try.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Circ pump squealing??? (2004 Merc 5.0L MPI)

Merc 5.0L MPI, serial # OWO18920

So I'm getting a relatively minor squeal at mid-range rpm (1200 or so) and higher. It sounds like its coming from the circ. pump. Idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and PS pump have been replaced in the last 2 months, and the raw water pump replaced last year. The sound is definitely not coming form the alternator, so it seems like that circ pump is all that's left.

I removed the belt and turned the circ pump manually and it makes a very slight noise. It turns easily and there is no grinding or wiggle, but there is a very slight noise...

What do I do? Can I do more diagnostic that this? Just go ahead and replace it (it's about $80- $100 for the part)?

Has anybody replaced on of these? Is it pretty straightforward? Any tips or advice before diving in? Cautions???

Thanks,
-Nick

Ayuh,.... Almost sounds like yer runnin' the belt Too Tight, if ya had to replace everything run by the belt,...

Yes, the circulatin' pump is a straight forward, fairly easy job,...