Replacing Bellows

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice
On my alpha one I've gotten to a sticking point on my bellows install. I've got every thing off except the throttle cable. It's still attached to the gimbal housing and I'm not sure how to get it off or how to get it to pull out further like I've seen in other member's installs.
Also, I was having issues with water in the bilge and found a couple tears in the U joint bellow hence installing new ones. So there was water in the UJ bellow and it was oily. Why is that? The oil in the lower unit was a tad milky and I found that the oil line was pretty torn up as well. Could this be the cause? My dad thinks it could have oil in it from previous oil changes and the residual oil built up in it.

Anyway, this site has been great getting me to where I am so far, so I know y'all will help get me the rest of the way.

Thanks,
DC

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing Bellows

On my alpha one I've gotten to a sticking point on my bellows install. I've got every thing off except the throttle cable. It's still attached to the gimbal housing and I'm not sure how to get it off or how to get it to pull out further like I've seen in other member's installs.
Also, I was having issues with water in the bilge and found a couple tears in the U joint bellow hence installing new ones. So there was water in the UJ bellow and it was oily. Why is that? The oil in the lower unit was a tad milky and I found that the oil line was pretty torn up as well. Could this be the cause? My dad thinks it could have oil in it from previous oil changes and the residual oil built up in it.

Anyway, this site has been great getting me to where I am so far, so I know y'all will help get me the rest of the way.

Thanks,
DC

Ayuh,.... The Throttle cable goes to the Carb, that's the lower shift cable,...

Cut off the long plastic piece, 'n use a 9/16" socket to unscrew the cable housin' from the gimbel housin',...

The oil in the bellows, 'n the water in the drive, passed through the Big seal at the input shaft bearin' pack,..

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

So disconnect the throttle cable from throttle body (FI) and pull the gimbal out until in rests on the ground and then use my socket to unscrew the throttle cable from gimbal housing and slip off that bellow, correct?

So the oil in the bellow. Will replacing the oil hose and bellow solve that problem?

NHGuy

Captain

Nope, disconnect the lower shift cable from the shift plate and pull the cable out of the back of the bellhousing. Then snip off the cable sheath, then use 2 stacked up 9/16 sockets to remove the shift cable end from the bellhousing.
As far as the oil & water in the bellows, you are going to need to reseal the drive, there should not be water in the lubricant.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

and I found that the oil line was pretty torn up as well

There isnt one on a Alpha
My dad thinks it could have oil in it from previous oil changes and the residual oil built up in it.

Nope, drive should not be leaking oil into the bellows.

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

If there's not a drive oil line then I don't have a clue what this particular line is. I cut it and oil came dripping out

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

On my alpha one I've gotten to a sticking point on my bellows install, in your signiture you mention 1994 Manta Ray 189 Sport
4.3 Mercruiser Alpha one Gen two
So witch on is it?

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

It is a Gen 2. Sorry I was being lazy and didn't say it completely

In regards to the link, I click it and its just the cover page. Am I missing something?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

once the page comes up ,click on the box, that opens another one.

dcarver

Seaman Apprentice

Well apparently the boatfix site is having issues. I did search and found the PDF from another site so thanks for the help with that. I see a lot of things that are definitely going to help with the maintenance.
As far as the gear oil hose, the PDF doesn't really mention it which is weird. Friscoboater has his youtube videos and he talks about the hose I'm describing. Rebuilding the Gimbal housing and installing the Bearing Part 3 - YouTube Fast foward to 10:20 and he points it out.