1988 cheeta shift problems

joelogan

Seaman Apprentice
On my 1988 Cheeta 4.3 I have checked the shift cable and it is 6 and 1\8 inches from center of brass barrel to center of cable hole. Is this a problem? I know the manual says 6 inches. The brass barrel is pinned and not adjustable per manual.
I have adjusted the remote cable to excactly to match the cable and shift plate .
It will go in gear manualy forward and reverse by moving the cable by hand.
Out of the water with muffs on and the engine running and the throttle disconnected it will go in gear just fine,
Fwd and Rev.
When I connect the throttle it will not go in either one and the engine speeds up.
Is this a throttle problem and how can I adjust it or is it something else?
This is a new Sterndrive upper unit.
I was looking at brass shift rod and it has a tie wrap on it. Is this correct? I also do not see a washer like the Merc had.
Is this correct also?
I have tried to talk to Sterndrive Eng but can get no call back.

Thanks for any help

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1988 cheeta shift problems

For your year there are 2 styles of shift plates. What is your engine serial number?

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am by no means an expert I have a 3.0 with an alpha one outdrive. I had a problem with my shift cable adj. When I made the adj according to the manual the engine would die anytime i put it in gear fwd or reverse. Thinking my shift cable was bad I pulled the out drive off and noticed that the part that is attached to the end of my shift cable was just flopping around i tighten the Allen screw at the end of the shift cable then redid the cable alignment. It seemed that I made a very small change by tightening that Allen screw but effectivly changed the pos of the cable by a small amount. When watching a you tube video they were saying that measurement was 6 in for anything after 1976 and 6 1/8 before so it must be a pretty critical adj. With this all said it may not have any worth due to I am not and expert and two i have a 3.0 for an engine.

joelogan

Seaman Apprentice

0c430395 is my serial number
thanks for replying

NHGuy

Captain

Did you take a look to see if you can move the cable end in the last 1/8" Otherwise you might need to get a cable with a barrel that moves. Then it's time to see if the controller can work the gears and the gas.

alldodge

Staff member

I first looked up the shift plate on the engine side using your post of a 4.3 and found 2 designs for 1988. I see now you have a 3.0 which gives 3 differnt designs using 1988 model year. Then I noticed you mention that your saying you need it at 6.0 because it is required before 1976. Your drive S/N does come out to be a R/MR Alpha one between 83-90. I'm trying to figure out if the shift control point can be adjusted to provide the needed result but there are mixed variables. What parts of the 4.3 were used if any and what is the engine S/N? Maybe the easier way may just be to go with what NHGuy mentioned.