Mercruiser water inlet hose. Plastic or Metal Nipple in Bell Housing?

Rikard82

Recruit
Hi!

First of all, the english is not my first language.. sorry.

I replace the water inlet hose between bell housing and the transom before the boat went in to the lake in april.

The hose has fallen of 2 times on the bell housing side, maybe because i didnt do the job good enough and i have been raising it to trailer-mode many times.

For those of you that have changed this one know that is very hard to do.

Now i think that i have it in correct place but i dont know how hard i can tighten the hose-clamps without breaking the nipple. Is it a cooper nipple or is it plastic on the bell housing side.

I have a Sea Ray 200 CC -89 with a Merc v6 4.3 and i think the gimbal/bell housing is pre-alpha, but im not sure.

Greetings from Sweden

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser water inlet hose. Plastic or Metal Nipple in Bell Housing?

Not real sure if it is plastic or brass but I have not heard of any being able to crack one with a nut driver. Is it that its not tight enough or that the hose is to short.

Greetings from someone who use to work with the Bofors 57MM for USN and USCG

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a Sea Ray 200 CC -89 with a Merc v6 4.3 and i think the gimbal/bell housing is pre-alpha, but im not sure.

Do you have a serial number for your engine and outdrive?

Alpha SN, ratio stamps.jpg MC SN Location.jpg

Pictures work sometimes.

As far as those tubes go, you shouldn't have to do any more than snug the clamp up, not twist it down so tight it breaks things. Besides, those hoses fit on that tube so tight you shouldn't even need a clamp.
Are you sure you have the right size hose? There are 2 sizes.

Rikard82

Recruit

Thanks for the answers.

The hose is from quicksilver and was the same size as the one I replaced.
But then its safe to put the wetsuit on and jump in the water and tighten the clamp a bit more.
It was very hard to get hose on the right place with the clamp on the end of hose. Very tight fit.

When i was at a dealer searching for anods that would fit the drive, we came to the conclusion that it was a old transom/gimbalhousing. But i think the drive has been replaced to a newer version.
I have checked the serial-numbers.

Sweden has made some "marks" in the history and Bofors is one of them.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

But then its safe to put the wetsuit on and jump in the water and tighten the clamp a bit more.
It was very hard to get hose on the right place with the clamp on the end of hose. Very tight fit.

Get the boat out of the water, pull the drive, the bellhousing, and the bellows and install the hose properly. THEN it will work.

It is not a job that can be done in the water by any diver.