2003 3.0 - installing distributor initial timing? how many deg is a gear tooth?

schiker

Cadet
I took engine out disassembled everything and replaced a piston, main-rod bearings, and rings. I labeled everything and put back like it came apart (did not take cam or crank gear off) marked and reinstalled each lifter and push rods in original places etc etc But....

I forgot to mark the exact clock time of the rotor button exactly (brain fart was thinking it would only go 2 ways right or 180 out uggh) I have the distributor rotation clocked to the factory scribe mark and the rotor button is pointing towards the No. 1 spark wire (eye ball accuracy). I would think this is close enough to crank but am getting some coughing back through the carb like timing is off. Or could it be rockers are too loose. I backed off rockers and planned on adjusting them once I got it cranked and warmed up (lifters pumped up).

How do I check the distributor is on the original gear tooth of cam for initial timing. About how many deg for a gear tooth? Would it be obviously off or could it be off by a tooth and I am just missing it. Is it time for a timing light? Will a timing light work while cranking with starter?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 3.0 - installing distributor initial timing? how many deg is a gear tooth?

what type of ignition? you replaced mains and rods without removing crank?
#1 on TDC compression stroke, install dist with rotor to #1 plug wire on cap.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2003 3.0 - installing distributor initial timing? how many deg is a gear tooth?

It's an EST ignition, only thing used since 91.
If you replaced a piston, then you had the head off. If you changed the main bearings you at least raised the crankshaft which means you had to have the timing cover off and the rear seal out, unless you did something like spinning new bearings in which you made a poor choice of methods.
Assuming you have the main bearings in and didn't change the timing gears timing, you need to find #1 TDC on the compression stroke in order to adjust the valves and install the distributor.

schiker

Cadet

As soon as I laid down to sleep I thought dummy it is 2 revs to a cycle and probably on intake stroke not compression stroke and hence "180 deg " out of time. Does that sound likely?

I have engine back in valve cover off. I took it all apart but not cam or crank gears off components just eased cam out and back in. I reinstalled aligning gear marks.

I plan to bump it over watching rockers wait for intake valve to open then close and bump over ~180 deg more check crank timing mark is near 0 timing marking plate on timing cover. Then I will figure a way to hand turn and find TDC. Then check rotor button orientation and probably have to correct 180 deg ???

Can I get it off a gear tooth off of time installing the distributor doing that? Or is it obviously off pointing to another wire or half way between wires etc.

Good plan ?

Last edited:

schiker

Cadet

I read a few threads then went back and read my manual on installing distributor engine disturbed and have a question.

I scanned manual and marked up distributor like I would view in boat. Sitting looking at right side of engine squarely and I say No. 1 cylinder is really at about 4 o'clock not really at the 1 o' clock position I really question step 3 on finding right tooth of cam gear. Shouldn't I point rotor button to 90 degree away from right side or about 6o'clock and find the corresponding cam tooth so it will spiral down the gears with distributor set at original position so the rotor button points to No. 1. IF I get the wrong cam gear tooth orientation will it be obvious like half way between either 1-3 or 2-1 time? How close is a cam gear tooth?

Once I get it to start and warm I'll do the timing procedure.

Attachments

• Dist-manual-pic.JPG
    Dist-manual-pic.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Manual step 3 finding no1.JPG
    Manual step 3 finding no1.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 1

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ll try to keep it easy.
Remove the dist.
remove valve cover and watch the 2nd rocker arm from the front of the engine raise up then go down.
this is #1 cylinder coming up on compression.
rotate motor untill "0" on the timing tab lines up with the line on the harmonic balancer, this is TDC
mark a post on the cap and call it #1, install dist with rotor facing this position ,install cap, and wires clockwise from this #1 mark 1,3,4,2

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

0000a_zpsbef68e5d.jpg

Most times the person with no knowledge of ign system just drops a dist in and re-arranges the plug wire to make it run.
The correct way would be to install the cap so that if always faces a particulat direction.If you look at the pic ,even without knowing what wire goes where I know that the #1 plug should be facing #1 cylinder and I know it`s 1,3,4,2 from there. Now someone else may install it facing away from #1 cylinder.So unknown to me i rip off all the plug wires and reinstall them according to the normal way and the firing order is all wrong now. Now I have to start at the beginning. Get #1 coming up on compression, rotate untill timing mark is at 0. find out where rotor is pointing and call that #1 and install the wires accordingly.

fishrdan

Admiral

Bt Dr is giving you great advice, align the distributor as it's shown in the pictures.

One thing you'll probably need to do (don't know if it was mentioned so far) is turn the oil pump drive that the distributor drops onto, if the dizzy won't go down the last 1/2", you'll need to turn the oil pump.

Don't worry about the cam gear teeth, as long as you clocked the cam and crank gears properly, the cam's distributor drive gear will be correct. Put the engine to TDC as BT suggested and stab the dizzy as the picture shows (rotor pointing to #1 when it's seated).

schiker

Cadet

That was informative and helped me understand the manuals instruction a bit better.

I was going by how it appears the factory installed it so I could align the marks and it would be close enough to run ok to get it going.

Here is a pic I took to remember how the cap was ordered and a service bulletin I found in another thread.

In that case would you reorder or try and find the original cam tooth?

Attachments

• timing-bulletin.pdf
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
  • timing-order-snip.JPG
    timing-order-snip.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1