3.0 fuel pump not working.

JRM1187

Cadet
I have a 2000 sea ray that i recently just replaced a broken fuel pump, the rod in the old pump broke and left me stranded, I bought a new fuel pump to replace the old one, its hooked up right and is making contact with the cam lobe, there is no fuel coming out of the outlet part of the pump, i tried to place an external tank on the pump and try it but still no suction, its a brand new factory pump so i doubt its bad, the filter going into the carb is clean and not obstructed, could i possibly be vapor locked? please help, im out of ideas.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 3.0 fuel pump not working.

Something isn't connected right. Take the pump off the engine and work it by hand. If you can pump it by hand and get fuel flow it works. Try to reinstall and watch how it is making contact its probably off to one side.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also, when you pull the pump to check it, check the cam as well and make sure the cam lobe is still a lobe.

JRM1187

Cadet

the cam lever is really tough to move, i dont know if thats because its new or if something is wrong with the pump, I can see the lobe and it looks "lobe like" lol. I can see where the cam is hitting the cam lever, i tried an external tank but it wont suck the gas. Is there something in the new fuel pump that i have to do in order to make the cam lever work better?

alldodge

Staff member

It will take some effort but should not be that hard. If its real hard take it back and ask them for their opinion. These pumps can also be pumped dry. Take the lines off and when you pump it you can hear the air being sucked in. Placing your finger over the inlet side you should be able to fell the sucktion.

JRM1187

Cadet

okay Ill try that as soon as i get done work, Hopefully its something really simple. I greatly appreciate your help in trying to figure this out.

JRM1187

Cadet

Well I pulled the fuel intake line off and turned the motor over and its not sucking. I once again pulled the pump and checked placement and its in there correctly, tried to manually push the cam lever with my hand and the dang thing is so stiff I can barely move it . I can maybe depress it 1/8 inch. I think something is wrong with the pump. I'm about to say the heck with it and install a low pressure electric fuel pump.

alldodge

Staff member

You can do the electric pump but sounds like it would be easier to just take it back to the store, that is unless the store is online. With an electric fuel pump you will need a block off plate, fuse, run wiring, oil pressure switch and tee connection for it.