speedometer and fuel gauge out.....help troubleshooting

mphsjeep

Seaman Apprentice
Great first boat day yesterday(late start to the season, I know). We have a 98 Stingray 19' with a Merc 3.0.

Two issues I need help with on troubleshooting:

1. Speedometer is not working. Never gave a problem before. Cannot see anything blocking the little intake hole. Tips on detailed troubleshooting?

2. Fuel gauge is not working. This has never worked perfectly. The needle would always jump around while in motion but now has went dead. First part of the day the needle stayed around the "E" with minor movement like it was stuck then dropped way below. I have fixed floats on jetskis but this looks more complicated. Are there fuses to check? Ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: speedometer and fuel gauge out.....help troubleshooting

Alpha drives dont have speedo ports? Alpha GEN II do. fuel gauge is tank mounted

Bondo

Staff member

Great first boat day yesterday(late start to the season, I know). We have a 98 Stingray 19' with a Merc 3.0.

Two issues I need help with on troubleshooting:

1. Speedometer is not working. Never gave a problem before. Cannot see anything blocking the little intake hole. Tips on detailed troubleshooting?

2. Fuel gauge is not working. This has never worked perfectly. The needle would always jump around while in motion but now has went dead. First part of the day the needle stayed around the "E" with minor movement like it was stuck then dropped way below. I have fixed floats on jetskis but this looks more complicated. Are there fuses to check? Ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Ayuh,... The pitot tube runs from the drive, to the speedo,... Inspect it's entire length,...

The gas gauge is Not motor/ drive related, go to the electrical forum for help with it,...

mphsjeep

Seaman Apprentice

How can I get to the sensor in the prop housing? This may be as simple as some junk stuck in there behind the prop. Does the water flow through there and prop or is it totally isolated in function?

mphsjeep

Seaman Apprentice

New to this but somewhat mechanical(sea doos), what are the most common problems that occur? Just need somewhere to start.

Confirming...so this is just a tube that water flows through all the way to the gauge? So im basically looking for obstructions? Is it safe to blow out or flush out the tubes/fittings in the drive in either direction?

Bondo

Staff member

New to this but somewhat mechanical(sea doos), what are the most common problems that occur? Just need somewhere to start.

Confirming...so this is just a tube that water flows through all the way to the gauge? So im basically looking for obstructions? Is it safe to blow out or flush out the tubes/fittings in the drive in either direction?

Ayuh,.... Water pushes against the pitot openin', causin' the air pressure in the tube to move the needle on the gauge,...

Most common problem is crud blockin' the pitot openin',...
Or a disconnected tube at an intersection,...

mphsjeep

Seaman Apprentice

Think I got it. Disconnected the tube according to the diagram above. Pushed air through the long tube, speedo moved. Hooked a tube to the connector adapter going into the drive and was not able to blow air through at first. Took a long needle punch and poked directly to where the intake is. Push, twist.....free air flow :)