Carb rebuild kit question please help

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carb rebuild kit question please help

you didn't say what the problem was you had before or what led you to determine a carb rebuild was necessary. If something didn't happen before you did the rebuild and now it does, then obviously you did something wrong. you adjust the idle mixture screws by turning each one slowly in in 1/8 turn increments until the engine begins to gag or die. Back them out in 1/8 turn increments until the same thing happens, but count the turns as you do this. Happiness is somewhere in between those two settings. Idle mixture is just that -- it adjust the fuel/air mixture for smooth idle. It has nothing to do with off idle to midrange or high throttle response. That is what the accelerator pump is for.

First time out this year I started boat up and put in reverse to get off trailer and it died. Which normally does cause its so cold natured and I have to let it warm up for a min before taking off. But when I went to start it it would not start just crank and crank. I pulled it out and noticed choke pump rod came apart. I slipped rod back into slot and it started but to get it running i usually had to give it full throttle. So I just assumed it was time for carb rebuild since I have owned the bait or 3 years and never had it rebuilt. When I took carb off boat I noticed choke pump rods were totally hooked up wrong all together. I took it apart and flipped some thing around and that probably would have fixed my problem but since I already had it off I went ahead and rebuilt carb and now I'm having this problem. I really seem to think its something in the carb because no matter how much I adjusted the idle mixture screws it didn't help all that much. I did notice as soon as u start it up and it's cold it sounds good but as soon as it wants up and choke stays open it sounds like crap and don't want to idle or give it little as and it wants to die .

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

First time out this year I started boat up and put in reverse to get off trailer and it died. Which normally does cause its so cold natured and I have to let it warm up for a min before taking off. But when I went to start it it would not start just crank and crank. I pulled it out and noticed choke pump rod came apart. I slipped rod back into slot and it started but to get it running i usually had to give it full throttle. So I just assumed it was time for carb rebuild since I have owned the bait or 3 years and never had it rebuilt. When I took carb off boat I noticed choke pump rods were totally hooked up wrong all together. I took it apart and flipped some thing around and that probably would have fixed my problem but since I already had it off I went ahead and rebuilt carb and now I'm having this problem. I really seem to think its something in the carb because no matter how much I adjusted the idle mixture screws it didn't help all that much. I did notice as soon as u start it up and it's cold it sounds good but as soon as it wants up and choke stays open it sounds like crap and don't want to idle or give it little as and it wants to die .

Good news finally! I got it running! It has a 3 hole hookup for the choke pump rod adjustment and I hooked it to where the carb would get more fuel and it runs like a champ! Thanks for all the help!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Awesome but I take it you mean the accelerator pump rather than the choke. Check out post # 12... Happy boating Jason!