Carb rebuild kit question please help

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1996 5.7l mercruiser. Serial f787085. Carb needs to be rebuilt. Having a hard time trying to figure out which one. Need as I cannot find any useful numbers on my merc carb. I was told to also replace accelerater pump. Was told it does not come in the kit and is a extra 72.00?? Most kits I see come with . Anyone know which kit I need or can give me a number to punch in that would match my carb?? Thanks in advance

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Carb rebuild kit question please help

Well I said I couldn't find any numbers on carb. I did find a number but not sure it's the actual serial number or not. It was 807312-5Y02. Does that change anything? Sorry just want to be sure I order the right kit. Thanks for the reply!

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

I know you said 807312a1 . Number I found dont have a1.. ?

alldodge

Staff member

the actual serial number or not. It was 807312-5Y02.

That matches up with what I found. Don't bother with the A1 its more of a revision letter or model

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Your awesome! Thanks so much for the quick replies

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Ok.. So I call my nearest marine store here and they tell me they do not have carb rebuild kit in stock but they do have carb gasket kit and accelerator pump kit in stock and that both of those kits would work. What do I need? I have Been having carb problems and just wanted to rebuild the carb. And as I see most rebuild kits come w accelerator pump for around 80.00. So why are they trying to charge me 50 just for gaskets and 72 for accelerator pump? Can someone please help me out and tell me what I really need!? Thanks

rickryder

Commander

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

I used an Edelbrock 1409 kit for my Weber 4bbl when I did my rebuild 5.7l merc. Your 2bbl shows to cross with a Rochester 18-7611-2 http://www.seastarsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2mercruisercarbs.pdf maybe the carb kit is the same and can be purchaced from your local auto parts store.... I also found a TSB from Merc on your carb....http://ethesis.zois.gr/fileshare/ΤΕ...MERCURY - EPC 13.3/data/001/04/1993/EN_13.PDF

Thanks for the reply. I had to drive 50 miles out of the way but I did find a rebuild kit for it. Or so I hope. I haven't installed it yet but ill let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys I rebuilt the carb but have a issue w pump rod adjustments on choke. Instructions tell you to measure between flame arrestor and then upper edge of choke plate and inner air horn wall. Not sure why or what it's supposed to be. With throttle all the way down my choke plate only opens maybe a 1/4". Is this right? I would have thought it should open all the way up?? Please help thanks

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Ok.. One problem after another.. I figured out what the adjustments were supposed to be and I had it all correctly. I installed the carb and fired it up. Now it wants to die when you slowly give it fuel/ throttle. If you hit the fuel harder/faster its fine. Not too sure what is going on now? Has to be the carb still because it was not doing this before. Help please!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Check any external jet adjustments, they may need tweaked. Is there an adjustment for the accelerator pump, sounds like it could be out of sync. If not check the linkage and see when it starts activating the pump as you increase the throttle.

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Check any external jet adjustments, they may need tweaked. Is there an adjustment for the accelerator pump, sounds like it could be out of sync. If not check the linkage and see when it starts activating the pump as you increase the throttle.

Only adjustments I know of is idle adjustment. I'm sure I have all linkage hooked up correctly.. I did notice shortly after starting electric choke opens up choke plate all the way and does not automatically shut back..?? And when giving it lots of fuel you can see jets squirting fuel good in both barrels but just giving a little fuel it may drip just a little.. Should this be normal as well?

rickryder

Commander

Normal.... you need to tweek the air mixture setting....also did you read the TSB I listed in my above post?? Here is a good video on the 2bbl Merc carb it's in 2 parts.....Hope it helps you out. MerCarb Marine Carburetor Rebuild - Part 1 - YouTube

Btw your choke will not close back up until the engine is cold and you open the throttle. Once the electric coil heats in the choke it will remain open....

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

Normal.... you need to tweek the air mixture setting....also did you read the TSB I listed in my above post?? Here is a good video on the 2bbl Merc carb it's in 2 parts.....Hope it helps you out. MerCarb Marine Carburetor Rebuild - Part 1 - YouTube

Btw your choke will not close back up until the engine is cold and you open the throttle. Once the electric coil heats in the choke it will remain open....

How do I adjust air mixture??

rickryder

Commander

By turning the air mixture screw in or out depending on if you need to lean or richen the mix....

jason0316

Seaman Apprentice

By turning the air mixture screw in or out depending on if you need to lean or richen the mix....
Well today I tried adjusting both air mixture and idle speed screw with no luck. It's still wanting to die when you slowly give it fuel and its not idling very good. You can also here and feel vacuum coming from the top of the carb w air breather off. Is this normal? Not sure what to try next?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Well you can't rule out that the carb is just worn out and you tried your best, it might be time for a new one. Try this, put the flame arrestor back on, and spray around the carb carefully with some carb cleaner while shes running. Try not to shoot it in the arrestor so that it goes in there, rather around the base and throttle body to see if the RPMs pick up any. If they do pick up you could have a vacuum leak from either the base gasket or even a worn out throttle bar.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

you didn't say what the problem was you had before or what led you to determine a carb rebuild was necessary. If something didn't happen before you did the rebuild and now it does, then obviously you did something wrong. you adjust the idle mixture screws by turning each one slowly in in 1/8 turn increments until the engine begins to gag or die. Back them out in 1/8 turn increments until the same thing happens, but count the turns as you do this. Happiness is somewhere in between those two settings. Idle mixture is just that -- it adjust the fuel/air mixture for smooth idle. It has nothing to do with off idle to midrange or high throttle response. That is what the accelerator pump is for.

rickryder

Commander

Idle mixture is just that -- it adjust the fuel/air mixture for smooth idle. It has nothing to do with off idle to midrange or high throttle response. That is what the accelerator pump is for.

Idle circuit
At idle and low speeds, the carburetor system supplies enough fuel to the engine to keep it running. When the vehicle gets up to speed (usually about 24 kph or 15 mph) the idle circuit kicks out of operation so that fuel is supplied by the main metering system. Also called the low-speed circuit.

Idle mixture
The mixture of air and fuel (usually about 14:1) being fed to the cylinders when the throttle plate is closed. Idle mixture is controlled by the pilot circuit in the carburetor or the computer in an electronic fuel injection system.

Just to clear things up a bit.......