Chevy 4.3 conversion

bertvh

Recruit
I have a chevy 4.3 vortec out of a 95 chevy truck. I have a blown 1998 4.3 Mercrusier with a cracked block. Can I transfer all the Mercrusier parts, carb,intake,started,ect... and drop it in my boat. Has anyone done this successfully? Are the heads different?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Chevy 4.3 conversion

Yes, it is one of the more frequently asked questions. So, there should be some threads that you can refer to for additional guidance.

Bondo

Staff member

I have a chevy 4.3 vortec out of a 95 chevy truck. I have a blown 1998 4.3 Mercrusier with a cracked block. Can I transfer all the Mercrusier parts, carb,intake,started,ect... and drop it in my boat. Has anyone done this successfully? Are the heads different?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... sure ya can,...

But,... the '95 is Vortec in name only,... Vortec heads came out in '96,....

So the heads Are different, along with the intake manifold,...

Volphin

Lieutenant

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... sure ya can,...

But,... the '95 is Vortec in name only,... Vortec heads came out in '96,....

So the heads Are different, along with the intake manifold,...

Yep. So if your old heads are ok, send them off for a valve job and install them on your donor engine. They are a superior design.

bertvh

Recruit

Yep. So if your old heads are ok, send them off for a valve job and install them on your donor engine. They are a superior design.

The heads on my donor Mercrusier are cracked. Can I use the heads off the truck motor??? I will mill them down and pressure test them.

Volphin

Lieutenant

The heads on my donor Mercrusier are cracked. Can I use the heads off the truck motor??? I will mill them down and pressure test them.

Sure you can. But it would be wiser to go get some other Vortec heads from a junkyard and have those refurbished. They can be had for $50 a head, sometimes $75 for a pair.

Bondo

Staff member

Sure you can. But it would be wiser to go get some other Vortec heads from a junkyard and have those refurbished. They can be had for $50 a head, sometimes $75 for a pair.

Ayuh,.... With a Different Intake manifold ya can,...

The bolt pattern changed with the heads in '96,...

Volphin

Lieutenant

Ayuh,.... With a Different Intake manifold ya can,...

The bolt pattern changed with the heads in '96,...

Yep. and the truck intake mani will not work.