1999 Mercuriser 454 air in fuel system

segiraffe1!

Recruit
I have a 1999 Mercrusier 454 and I am experiencing a lot of air in my fuel system but is allowing the boat to run for a short period of time. I have replaced fuel pick up as well as fuel filter. The tank is full of new fuel. I checked to verify the boat was not vapor locking it is not leaking fuel anywhere.

I did fuel pressure test running at 55 lbs and I keep getting air out of schrader valve. The engine is efi. Boat will run on idle and acceleration for 3 mintues and then die and will not refire until I purge air out of shrader valve. Did remove fuel cap and found that boat is not vapor locking.

Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1999 Mercuriser 454 air in fuel system

What is the seria; number of your engine?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Sounds like a vacuum leak, up-stream of the fuel pump,...

Try a remote fuel tank to help diagnose where the problem is,...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Air in the fuel system, has to be between the fuel pump and the tank. After the fuel pump, it's all pressure.
Any of the lines from the tank to the pump are suspect, especially if they have the wide hose clamps on them.. You need the narrow mini clamps on fuel lines.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If it has a water separating fuel filter, suspect that someone has overtightened the fuel line fittings in it. They end up with a hairline crack, and leak air into the fuel system....

Chris..........