Mercruiser 228 (1983) Steering Cable Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 228 (1983) Steering Cable Removal

Have 1983 Mercruiser 228 with power steering. Steering wheel does not move the outdrive. How do I remove the cable as it appears to be stuck somewhere in the tube? I have so far only removed the clevis pin where the cable attaches to the outdrive. In the picture there are 3 nuts (#'s 1 to 3) plus what appears to be a clip of some sort (#4).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	7185212

Which ones need to be removed?
    Also, how do I unstick the cable if it is stuck in the tube?
    Thanks!

Re: Mercruiser 228 (1983) Steering Cable Removal

Originally posted by jmarchi View Post
    Have 1983 Mercruiser 228 with power steering. Steering wheel does not move the outdrive. How do I remove the cable as it appears to be stuck somewhere in the tube? I have so far only removed the clevis pin where the cable attaches to the outdrive. In the picture there are 3 nuts (#'s 1 to 3) plus what appears to be a clip of some sort (#4).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]196802[/ATTACH]

Which ones need to be removed?
    Also, how do I unstick the cable if it is stuck in the tube?
    Thanks!
    Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... In theory, if ya loosen nut #1, the cable end should withdraw from the tube,...

If it's corroded together, removin' #2 should give ya the Tube, 'n cable to fight with outa the hull,...

Loosen #3 may help,...

If the cable, 'n tube are now 1,... Replace 'em both,...

Comment

Re: Mercruiser 228 (1983) Steering Cable Removal

Thanks!

Comment

i have to post a video out here. i'm having trouble removing the steering cable from the actuator or tube. it has a stop or something in

there and wont pull out. does the cable screw out? Plus on the other side of the actuator there is another cable end and it appears to

be separate from the one on the 'steering' side of this boat. it's a Sea Ray Sport Cruiser with a 5litre mercury and has an Alpha One

outdrive/sterndrive. also there is a bracket corroded to the other cable pin and I'm afraid i'll break the top of the bracket that the pin is going through if I force it out. I cannot move the pin. if it break that part is it replaceable on the outdrive? any help appreciated.
        Ray

Comment

sorry I kept getting errors posting and now there are multiple posts
          rr
          Last edited by rrb6699; July 18th, 2014, 06:54 AM.

Comment

i have to post a video out here. i'm having the same trouble removing the steering cable from the actuator or tube. it seems like it has a stop or something in
            there and wont pull out. does the cable screw out? Plus on the other side of the actuator there is another cable end and it appears to be separate from the one on the 'steering' (starboard) side of this boat. it's a Sea Ray Sport Cruiser with a 5litre mercury and has an Alpha One outdrive/sterndrive. also there is a bracket corroded to the other cable pin and I'm afraid i'll break the top of the bracket that the pin is going through if I force it out. I cannot move/remove the pin. if it break that part is it replaceable on the outdrive? any help appreciated.
            Ray

Comment

NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

its all in this section http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6A6R3.PDF
                NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

Working...
                X