MC-1/Alpha 1 Trim Issues

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the old pre-alpha housing on the transom with an Alpha-1 Gen 1 gimbal housing/transom plate last year. When I did, I had to use the Alpha 1 trim hoses (larger dia.) instead of the existing trim hose (smaller dia.) because my existing braided hoses would not mate to the housing due to the size of the fittings. I used my existing trim pistons, as they were just rebuilt. I did not change the trim pump.

My trim has not worked since. The trim motor runs and the drive will move very slightly, but will not go up all the way. the drive needs a little coaxing to go down. The pump is connected correctly electrically and the pump runs. Fluid is full, and no air in the system.

Could the trim hoses from the pump to the housing be my problem? If so, I would imagine I will have to change my trim pump? If so, would I have to change the trim pistons too?

I've got the motor out now, so everything is easily accessible and would like to have everything in proper working order.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MC-1/Alpha 1 Trim Issues

Pistons worked after they were rebuilt, but not with the new gimbal housing. All fittings are tight and leak free.

Bondo

Staff member

I replaced the old pre-alpha housing on the transom with an Alpha-1 Gen 1 gimbal housing/transom plate last year. When I did, I had to use the Alpha 1 trim hoses (larger dia.) instead of the existing trim hose (smaller dia.) because my existing braided hoses would not mate to the housing due to the size of the fittings. I used my existing trim pistons, as they were just rebuilt. I did not change the trim pump.

My trim has not worked since. The trim motor runs and the drive will move very slightly, but will not go up all the way. the drive needs a little coaxing to go down. The pump is connected correctly electrically and the pump runs. Fluid is full, and no air in the system.

Could the trim hoses from the pump to the housing be my problem? If so, I would imagine I will have to change my trim pump? If so, would I have to change the trim pistons too?

I've got the motor out now, so everything is easily accessible and would like to have everything in proper working order.

Ayuh,... Which lines exactly where, are ya talkin' 'bout in the hi-lighted text,..??

Inside the transom,..??

Do ya still have the reverse lock, 'n trim senor riggin' inside the transom,..??

When I switched mine, I went to the newer plastic bodied pump, 'n hada braze a line together because of size changes,...
The fittin', 'n ends are standard US Brake line parts...
I'm still runnin' the old 1" bore rams from the MC-1, no problem...

Crack the lines on yer pump, 'n run it to see if it's pushin' Pressure...

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... Which lines exactly where, are ya talkin' 'bout in the hi-lighted text,..??

Inside the transom,..??

Do ya still have the reverse lock, 'n trim senor riggin' inside the transom,..??

When I switched mine, I went to the newer plastic bodied pump, 'n hada braze a line together because of size changes,...
The fittin', 'n ends are standard US Brake line parts...
I'm still runnin' the old 1" bore rams from the MC-1, no problem...

Crack the lines on yer pump, 'n run it to see if it's pushin' Pressure...

The lines go from outside the transom thru inner transom plate and up to the pump.

The reverse lock is still installed. I honestly didn't know what it was or its purpose so I didn't want to eliminate it. Should I take this out?

Batteries are on the charger now, so I will crack the lines and see if I get pressure later today.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I'm resurrecting this same thread from some time ago. I put the boat in last year without the trim working properly. As you can read previously I have the older pump with the separate reverse lock, larger diameter hoses from the pump to the manifold block on the transom housing(under the zinc block), and the older narrow diameter trim pistons.

From what I can see (now that I'm not in such a rush) the pistons I have mount entirely way to wide forward and they have to **** invertly to mount to the drive this creating like a bend in the pistons. I have since gotten my hands on the new style pump with the plastic reservoir. And it appears i need to get larger diameter pistons. Does anyone know what pistons I need? I see many different ones out there and different sizes, I do not want to be buying these things on a trial and error basis as they are not cheap.

Bondo

Staff member

So I'm resurrecting this same thread from some time ago. I put the boat in last year without the trim working properly. As you can read previously I have the older pump with the separate reverse lock, larger diameter hoses from the pump to the manifold block on the transom housing(under the zinc block), and the older narrow diameter trim pistons.

From what I can see (now that I'm not in such a rush) the pistons I have mount entirely way to wide forward and they have to **** invertly to mount to the drive this creating like a bend in the pistons. I have since gotten my hands on the new style pump with the plastic reservoir. And it appears i need to get larger diameter pistons. Does anyone know what pistons I need? I see many different ones out there and different sizes, I do not want to be buying these things on a trial and error basis as they are not cheap.

Ayuh,.... Post some pictures,.... That's makin' No sense to Me,...

'bout what vintage is the MC-1 transom assembly,..??

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not the greatest pics but here is the new style pump I have to install, a shot of the housing before I installed the drive, and a cold up of the pistons. Take notice how narrow the end of the piston is. I looked around my marina and found boats with newer style pistons where the ends were at least 1-1/2" wider, which would make up the difference I need. I will get a better pic of the pistons with drive installed.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Not the greatest pics but here is the new style pump I have to install, a shot of the housing before I installed the drive, and a cold up of the pistons. Take notice how narrow the end of the piston is. I looked around my marina and found boats with newer style pistons where the ends were at least 1-1/2" wider, which would make up the difference I need. I will get a better pic of the pistons with drive installed.
View attachment 228761
View attachment 228762
View attachment 228763

Ayuh,.... Do that,... My early Alpha has the same rams, 'n No issues,...

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As you can see in my pics there is a 1" gap on each side between the drive and the ram. If I force it to bolt together, I'm afraid of bending the rams. In addition the pistons disconnected do not both move symmetrically. These issues started when I changed my transom housing, and hydro lines from housing to pump. I also had to use longer pin/bolts with the bushings to mount the rams forward. I think I need new rams which are wider, but not sure.
View attachment 229056]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 0

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

I have a MC-1 set up and thats the way my rams are. When you mount them and tighten the thru bolt nuts it pulls the rams to the center of the drive. You do have the rubber inserts on each end? The inserts lets the ram flex abit.

Dont see why you could put a spacer in there if your worried about it binding.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know the bushings give it flexibility but it just seems like a lot of space to make up. What pump to you run? The newer style with the white plastic reservoir? I'm trying to figure out where my problem is, since everything worked fine before I changed the housing and lines. The pump and the rams or the braided lines on the outside of the boat never changed.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I changed the pump today, leaving the old rams. Pump worked great nice and smooth and both rams mover up and down quick. Found another problem with 1 ram leaking, but works for now til I can get the rebuild kit.

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So when I went down to clean up a few things before I splash the boat, I noticed an oil leak on one of the trim rams. Before I go thru the trouble of rebuilding it, are the rams I'm using sufficient to handle the pressure of the new style pump? Or do I have to upgrade the rams?