just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

drove from milwaukee wi to knoxville tennesee 400 in gas, 2350 for a 88 7.4l bravo 454 long block v8.

motor was only test run by dumping gas in the carb, which wasnt the way i expected but ok...

ran good, loaded it up and head home with my newest investment ready to provide years of salmon fishing on lake michigan. EXCITED

when i dropped off the motor to my mechanic today as we lifted the motor and gave it a glance over he saw a freeze plug protruding out too far, just to the left we were horrified to find a jb-weld patch over what was obviously over a crack.

we called the seller back and he said he would pay for a nickle weld, wasnt trying to screw me, didnt know it was there.....

can this be something that i can trust to hold? what do i do now? my mechanic said a nickle weld will last about 2 years tops and he deosnt want to touch it because his name is important to him.

when you are standing in front of the motor with the pullys facing you, the patch job is in the 1st 1/2 of the right side.

can i have some opinions of cracked block nickle welding? how screwed did a wood chuck screw, since a wood chuck just got screwed?

pictures speak for themselves!
    Attached Files

• boatguya1
    replied
    Re: just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing

Originally posted by achris View Post
    If you're transferring all the bravo stuff over to the 'Alpha' block, then yes, no problem....
    It's late and I've had a few drinks but......

Can't he run the rev rotation motor on his Bravo drive with a left hand prop or just reverse the cables on his remote and run the right hand prop with the reverse rotation motor he can get a "deal" on? My understanding is you can run the bravo either way. Maybe i'm under thinking this?

Leave a comment:

• achris
    replied

Originally posted by evinice66 View Post
    achris, that was what i was trying to get at, i wasnt sure if it was possible to use that block with all bravo stuff,,, ...
    If you're transferring all the bravo stuff over to the 'Alpha' block, then yes, no problem....

Leave a comment:

• evinice66
    replied

achris, that was what i was trying to get at, i wasnt sure if it was possible to use that block with all bravo stuff,,, its really the only one i could find within 150 miles of me! if anyone knows of something that would work for me i would definately try to buy it, i now many people on here might know someone, or at least know which blocks would work for me

can i only use a block from a mark 4?

Leave a comment:

• achris
    replied

....my cracked block motor is a 1988 7.4l bravo model: MCM 7.4 litre serial: B772793...
    Woow, steady Eddy.... That is NOT a Bravo engine, it's an Alpha engine, and it's 1987....

Leave a comment:

• wrench 3
    replied

Not 100% sure, but by my reckoning you would need to change the camshaft, oil pump and rear main oil seal. You could reuse the cam if it's in good condition, but you should go with a new oil pump, seals and a hole pile of gaskets. It's a Good idea to move the lifters along with the cam and put them back into the same positions.

Leave a comment:

• GA_Boater
    replied
    Re: 454 engine block swap!

No expert here but cam, distributor and starter will have to come from the old motor. It might be a good idea to swap the lifters from the old to new block because of wear patterns, mark them so they run on the same lobes. Not sure about any other parts to swap. Gaskets needed will be at least for the timing case and intake manifold. There might be cam replacement gasket set available. I'll let those in the know weigh in.

Leave a comment:

• evinice66
    replied
    454 engine block swap!

so i recently bought a motor with a crack in the block. seller offered to send me half of the price of a block. i can get a complete running motor for 1,100 but it is a reverse rotation motor.

im looking for a little advice on some do,s and dont's and what i might need to make the conversion happen.

if anyone knows of a post that has some info on it already i would love to read it! i have looked and didnt come up with any good reading materiel.

here is what i have to work with: 1988 7.4l bravo model: MCM 7.4 litre serial: B772793 with a cracked block and was told by seller it has rectangular port heads

and available for purchase is a MIE 340 B697762 dont have alot of info on it other that it came outt of a boat with a damaged hull and twin motors. this one is the reverse rotation motor.

deos the reverse rotation motor have compatible parts with the cracked block motor? will i need a full gasket set?

i dont even know where to start and im really trying to make the best of a bad situation. please keep in mind i dont have alot of money but i am still open to any and all input anyone is willing to share with me! thanks!! tony

Leave a comment:

• evinice66
    replied

well im not sure what i would have to buy at all... the guy i boat the boat from accidently bought the wrong motor for the boat (reverse rotation ), then decided he should just sell the boat. keeping in mind the boat is an 88, he just texted me the model and serial number of that motor that he has for sale. the boat it came from had a damaged hull and had twin motors. hours are not known but its a freshwater motor for sure in wisconsin. very clean, no rust.... MIE 340 B697762 my cracked block motor is a 1988 7.4l bravo model: MCM 7.4 litre serial: B772793

is it possible to make one good motor from both of these?

Leave a comment:

• Alwhite00
    replied

well, i dont know, im just trying to find a positive in a negative situation.

i can get a complete motor for 1,100, but it is a reverse rotation motor.
    so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day and have a ton of extra parts to keep for the next rainy day...i am waiting on the potential block donor motor serial numbers to verify parts compatibility.
    the seller of cacked block motor said he can fly up to wisconsin for a weekend and help build my frankenstien motor... so i guess i will find out just how genuine he really is!!!
    A real "genuine" guy would have refunded your money or not sold you the junk in the first place.

LK

Leave a comment:

• Bondo
    replied

so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day
    Ayuh,... It takes atad more than Just swappin' the cam to go to a left-handed motor, from right handed...

Leave a comment:

• MarkSee
    replied

...i will have to learn how to take apart a motor and put it back together
    So you got to keep the motor with the cracked block and are buying another one then plan on moving the parts from one to the other?

What do you know about the future block on it's history, condition or previous work to know what will migrate or what you might need to purchase?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• evinice66
    replied

well, i dont know, im just trying to find a positive in a negative situation.

so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day and have a ton of extra parts to keep for the next rainy day...i am waiting on the potential block donor motor serial numbers to verify parts compatibility.
    the seller of cacked block motor said he can fly up to wisconsin for a weekend and help build my frankenstien motor... so i guess i will find out just how genuine he really is!!!

Leave a comment:

• jasoutside
    replied

Well, you are better off than you were. But at the same time, yah, I kinda feel like you got ripped twice now. Shoot.

Leave a comment:

• GA_Boater
    replied

ok well i thank all of your replies because i used it as leverage for my case and point. the seller offered for half the price of a block, i can get one for 1,100 so this friday he will send me 550 and i will have to learn how to take apart a motor and put it back together lol...... and i guess i can call him to ask any questions about anything... ahhh just a little better now...
    After you get the money, why would you ask him anything? He's laughing. How much do you think the re-build will cost - out of your pocket.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X