just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

Just a thought..that Bravo drive..if it is in good conditon is worth more than 2350...more like 3500.Going offshore with anything other than a solid engine is crazy..Reman's are about 2500.

tpenfield

Staff member

The fact is you paid for something that you did not get. . . regardless of how to remedy the situation.

In what manner was the engine advertised/offered? i.e. any disclosure or representation of its condition ?

tinkerguy70

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd go with the majority here, that's a lot of money for a junk block and parts. I'd return it for a full refund.
I could understand if it was a $350 junkyard motor, not a $2350 marine engine sold as a good solid engine, which it is definitely not.
My opinion is that by the time you get finished messing around with this, you'll have just as much in it, if not more, than a reman from a repudiable engine builder. I'd also question whether he knew about the crack or not.
Sorry you got screwed, I hope you get it worked out.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

If I ended up with that POS engine it would already be strapped to a pallet and on it's way back to the seller along with a nice "note" from my lawyer. Man, You really need to look over the next one you find with a fine tooth comb after this mess.

LK

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welding is a crap shoot, you must pre-heat and then the crack will propagate you will need to chase the crack peen the areas near and in front of the weld and yet cracks will still develope and run. Then with the differential in heat expansion there will after time be cracks and separation between the nickel weld and the parent material. You will never know the extent of the cracks as to the internal regions water jackets and such. As mentioned earlier on the 454 has particular valve angles and if frozen could also have cracks between the valve seats. Some aircraft engine jugs are bad for that too. Big block 454 is a particular engine I think a great one but to have a cracked block and to fix is a lost cause welding could will take hours and end up with leaks. Send it back as the guy must have known and get another one then chalk one up for life.

big zeke

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds crappy...if a refund was forthcoming it would have been offered by now. A lawyer letter might make him change his mind but not likely; he knows that if you pursue him, your lawyer bill will be as much as the engine was worth.

One approach, since he did offer the nickle welding, is to get him to send you the cash for the weld including the disassembly and reassembly labour cost (this would be necessary as you couldn't weld on an assembled block). My guess you'll get a fair bit of the initial cost back on this "refund", then find a donor block and swap over the components; you'll get a fairly massive boat anchor in the process as well. You will be out of pocket but far less than trying to ship it back and get a refund...it ain't Walmart.

Good luck
Zeke

fishrdan

Admiral

How was it paid for? (Hopefully credit card)

wrench 3

Commander

One approach, since he did offer the nickle welding, is to get him to send you the cash for the weld including the disassembly and reassembly labour cost (this would be necessary as you couldn't weld on an assembled block). My guess you'll get a fair bit of the initial cost back on this "refund", then find a donor block and swap over the components; you'll get a fairly massive boat anchor in the process as well. You will be out of pocket but far less than trying to ship it back and get a refund...it ain't Walmart.
If you go with Zeke's sugestion, don't forget to use marine frost plugs if you'r running an opencooling system.

etracer68

Ensign

Now, this is just my opinon, to start, it doesn't look to be a marine block to start with. the freeze plugs are rusty, so i would think there not brass, a marine bock would have had brass plugs in it. I think hes blowing smoke up your a*ss, saying he didnt know it was there, when your guy seen it right away. I would ask for a full refund, and if he doesnt want to pay, then you will have to take other action.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok well i thank all of your replies because i used it as leverage for my case and point. the seller offered for half the price of a block, i can get one for 1,100 so this friday he will send me 550 and i will have to learn how to take apart a motor and put it back together lol...... and i guess i can call him to ask any questions about anything... ahhh just a little better now...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ok well i thank all of your replies because i used it as leverage for my case and point. the seller offered for half the price of a block, i can get one for 1,100 so this friday he will send me 550 and i will have to learn how to take apart a motor and put it back together lol...... and i guess i can call him to ask any questions about anything... ahhh just a little better now...

After you get the money, why would you ask him anything? He's laughing. How much do you think the re-build will cost - out of your pocket.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, you are better off than you were. But at the same time, yah, I kinda feel like you got ripped twice now. Shoot.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, i dont know, im just trying to find a positive in a negative situation.

i can get a complete motor for 1,100, but it is a reverse rotation motor.
so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day and have a ton of extra parts to keep for the next rainy day...i am waiting on the potential block donor motor serial numbers to verify parts compatibility.
the seller of cacked block motor said he can fly up to wisconsin for a weekend and help build my frankenstien motor... so i guess i will find out just how genuine he really is!!!

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...i will have to learn how to take apart a motor and put it back together

So you got to keep the motor with the cracked block and are buying another one then plan on moving the parts from one to the other?

What do you know about the future block on it's history, condition or previous work to know what will migrate or what you might need to purchase?

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day

Ayuh,... It takes atad more than Just swappin' the cam to go to a left-handed motor, from right handed...

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

well, i dont know, im just trying to find a positive in a negative situation.

so i will swap the camshaft and call it a day and have a ton of extra parts to keep for the next rainy day...i am waiting on the potential block donor motor serial numbers to verify parts compatibility.
the seller of cacked block motor said he can fly up to wisconsin for a weekend and help build my frankenstien motor... so i guess i will find out just how genuine he really is!!!

A real "genuine" guy would have refunded your money or not sold you the junk in the first place.

LK

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well im not sure what i would have to buy at all... the guy i boat the boat from accidently bought the wrong motor for the boat (reverse rotation ), then decided he should just sell the boat. keeping in mind the boat is an 88, he just texted me the model and serial number of that motor that he has for sale. the boat it came from had a damaged hull and had twin motors. hours are not known but its a freshwater motor for sure in wisconsin. very clean, no rust.... MIE 340 B697762 my cracked block motor is a 1988 7.4l bravo model: MCM 7.4 litre serial: B772793

is it possible to make one good motor from both of these?

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
454 engine block swap!

454 engine block swap!

so i recently bought a motor with a crack in the block. seller offered to send me half of the price of a block. i can get a complete running motor for 1,100 but it is a reverse rotation motor.

im looking for a little advice on some do,s and dont's and what i might need to make the conversion happen.

if anyone knows of a post that has some info on it already i would love to read it! i have looked and didnt come up with any good reading materiel.

here is what i have to work with: 1988 7.4l bravo model: MCM 7.4 litre serial: B772793 with a cracked block and was told by seller it has rectangular port heads

and available for purchase is a MIE 340 B697762 dont have alot of info on it other that it came outt of a boat with a damaged hull and twin motors. this one is the reverse rotation motor.

deos the reverse rotation motor have compatible parts with the cracked block motor? will i need a full gasket set?

i dont even know where to start and im really trying to make the best of a bad situation. please keep in mind i dont have alot of money but i am still open to any and all input anyone is willing to share with me! thanks!! tony

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 454 engine block swap!

Re: 454 engine block swap!

No expert here but cam, distributor and starter will have to come from the old motor. It might be a good idea to swap the lifters from the old to new block because of wear patterns, mark them so they run on the same lobes. Not sure about any other parts to swap. Gaskets needed will be at least for the timing case and intake manifold. There might be cam replacement gasket set available. I'll let those in the know weigh in.