just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
drove from milwaukee wi to knoxville tennesee 400 in gas, 2350 for a 88 7.4l bravo 454 long block v8.

motor was only test run by dumping gas in the carb, which wasnt the way i expected but ok...

ran good, loaded it up and head home with my newest investment ready to provide years of salmon fishing on lake michigan. EXCITED

when i dropped off the motor to my mechanic today as we lifted the motor and gave it a glance over he saw a freeze plug protruding out too far, just to the left we were horrified to find a jb-weld patch over what was obviously over a crack.:faint2:

we called the seller back and he said he would pay for a nickle weld, wasnt trying to screw me, didnt know it was there.....

can this be something that i can trust to hold? what do i do now? my mechanic said a nickle weld will last about 2 years tops and he deosnt want to touch it because his name is important to him.

when you are standing in front of the motor with the pullys facing you, the patch job is in the 1st 1/2 of the right side.

can i have some opinions of cracked block nickle welding? how screwed did a wood chuck screw, since a wood chuck just got screwed?

pictures speak for themselves!

Attachments

• IMG_0979[1].jpg
    IMG_0979[1].jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0980[1].jpg
    IMG_0980[1].jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0981[1].jpg
    IMG_0981[1].jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0982[1].jpg
    IMG_0982[1].jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0983[1].jpg
    IMG_0983[1].jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: just bought a used 454, got home to find a failing jb-weld patch failing :(

Find a cheap replacement block and be done with it... I would be very suspicious of the seller. I would seriously doubt his story that he didn't know. That patch looks too fresh....

Chris....

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't want to seem harsh but:

Was the engine in an actual boat that you pulled it out of thus limiting your initial visual inspection or was it out where you could look it over?

If out of a boat, then you had a chance to completely look over the engine before handing over the cash and you missed this?

When you first talked with him on the phone and before you drove there, did you ask him if there was any repairs like that and he lied or you never asked?

Mark

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor was out and on a stand, i did have a chance to look it all over, and i just missed it- not very bright down there, and i was over tired from the very long drive... the guy owns his own performance marine/ classic car rebuilding shop, weather he saw it or not i highly doubt he would want a patched motor in his boat....

edit: he said the motor was great and had only 210 hrs on it. my mechanic even talked to him and he is a very skeptical person and gave him about 30 minutes of riddles of which he passed and i was given an ok to drive down there and pick it up..

79Glastron

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you remove the JB and look at the crack(s)? If it is weldable you may as well try it. Whats the worse that could happen?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I would put it on a create and ship it back to him for a full refund plus the cost of the shipping. If I drove that far I sure would of gone over it with a fine tooth comb.

tpenfield

Staff member

I would think that if the seller "did not know it was there", he would be willing to take it back and give you a refund.

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i didnt have a chance to remove the path to look at it, i was late for work as my mechanic is a talker. do you think the guy would refund me?

worst case scenario for me would be that the motor blows due to water in the oil when im about 15 miles offshore and the wind kicks up and i am stuck in 4-10 waves! after i spent the money to have it installed... i would really like to have a motor that i am confident in, which is the reason i drove there instead of just having it shipped, which turns out was completely useless as i dont know what to look for....

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

seller is confident in nickle welding the block, my mechanic isnt... i just dont really have a clue so i was hoping to get some insight.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Either return the engine for a refund, or replace the block. Any patch up is just that, a patch up, and not reliable in my opinion... especially in the area that it is.

Chris.......

wrench 3

Commander

I haven't had good luck with welding engine blocks. You usually end up with hair line cracks radiating out from the weld. Also, 454s have a habit of cracking the block in the lifter gallery when frozen.
Good luck.

matt167

Captain

A nickel weld done correctly will hold, but it's tricky with cast iron. Normally you preheat to 400* then weld, and then bring it back up to 400* and reduce the temp over a length of time. Good luck finding an oven that can fit a BBC. It can be done, normally not worth it, but if the seller insists on a nickle weld over a refund for $2k, then take it to someone who is confidant in welding a Flathead Ford V8 block and make seller pay, as they are welded all the time, but usually with some form of pre heat and then holding temps over a period of time and it takes skill.

beermak

Seaman

Fill ur tank and head south, theres no chance ull install that engine as is.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't't touch it,get a refund,including shipping, if there is a core plug pushing out and a crack with jb........come on no,absolutely no second thoughts here. Sorry about your issue but hope ya get 'er straightened out.
Grub

fishrdan

Admiral

If he didn't know the crack was there, then he shouldn't have a problem refunding your purchase price,,, if he's as stand-up as you're thinking.

Check Uship to see how much it would cost to have it shipped back, most likely cheaper than gas money. I shipped a 3.0L shortblock 1900 miles for around $200. Though, that price would have doubled if the guy on the other end didn't have a fork lift, or front end loader in his case.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Find a cheap replacement block and be done with it... I would be very suspicious of the seller. I would seriously doubt his story that he didn't know. That patch looks too fresh....

Chris....

If the seller owns his own performance marine shop he had to know it was there if he didn't put it there him self just to get rid of it. You're not looking at a 5 year old patch, thats fairly new. Of course he's going to say weld it. Thats a temporary fix to get you out of his hair. I would call him and very nicely but firmly ask him how he would like you to return it since he "didn't know it was there in the first place" he certainly can't expect you to keep it. Worst case if you get stuck with it... as Chris suggested just get another block and call it a day. That block looks like it is toast. If you want reliable you really don't have a choice. Sorry you have to go through this. The seller sounds like a real shm#$k!! :mad::mad::mad:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I agree with those sayin' Return it....

While weldin' the block is possible, that's a really, Really bad spot....
That's where the head bolts provide their clampin' force to hold the head on...

Even bein' a well versed, experienced Welder,...
I wouldn't waste my time messin' with that 1,...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bah, horse puckey. He knew about that JB Weld.

the guy owns his own performance marine/ classic car rebuilding shop,

Ship it back for a full refund.

If it were off craigslist from an average joe that might be a little different.

akorcovelos

Petty Officer 1st Class

The guy owns a performance marine shop and the only way he could test run the engine was dumping gas in the carb? It takes 2min to rig up a gas can to feed the fuel pump. He didn't want to run it up to temp because he knew about that crack. Get a refund, if he will, though I doubt it. Might help to find a laywer to write him a nastygram if he wont take it back. No way would I trust that engine on Lake Michigan.

wrench 3

Commander

A nickel weld done correctly will hold, but it's tricky with cast iron. Normally you preheat to 400* then weld, and then bring it back up to 400* and reduce the temp over a length of time. Good luck finding an oven that can fit a BBC. It can be done, normally not worth it, but if the seller insists on a nickle weld over a refund for $2k, then take it to someone who is confidant in welding a Flathead Ford V8 block and make seller pay, as they are welded all the time, but usually with some form of pre heat and then holding temps over a period of time and it takes skill.
Matt knows what he's talking about. But to preheat the block you have to strip it right down including the cam bearings. If you were going to do that , you might as well get a used automotive block and build it into a rebuilt marine engine.