removing motor and outdrive

mwe-maxxowner

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'll be removing my motor and outdrive soon to do a stringer/transom job and would like any pointers and/or warnings I may need for doing so. The boat is an 86 Dixie hustler 188 with a 4.3 and alpha 1 outdrive. I'm imagining it will be a bear to unhook the steering cables. While the outdrive is off what pm should be done to it? It sat in the water and is all barnacled up so I'd like to sand and paint it too.

Should I try to record any sort of references to help me get the motor positioned in roughly the same spot it was before? And I know nothing about aligning it.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: removing motor and outdrive

Most guys doing what you're about to do have indicated they take a lot of pictures and measurements of everything before starting in case it's needed when putting stuff back together.

You'll probably want to check out the restoration forum as guys there have good stuff on what to do and have their own websites with additional information, videos, etc.
Boat Repair and Restoration

Good luck

Mark

mwe-maxxowner

Thanks! I'm posting there for the restore, they told me to come here for advice on removing the motor. I've removed truck engines, but never one from a boat. Looking for tips on dealing with the outdrive as well as the steering, and anything special about the shift cabling?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....Put the drive down, 'n controller in forward,...
Pull the drive....

Unattach all the cablin', wirin', 'n plumbin' from the motor,...
Pull the 2 big bolts outa the aft mounts, 'n the lags outa the front mounts, 'n Lift, straight up, 'n out....

Pull the y-pipe, steerin' cable, trim plumbin', 'n the 8 nuts holdin' the inner transom plate, 'n pull it...
Then push the transom housin' off/ outa the hull...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Video on removing the drive. In the video it's a Gen II, but the removal procedure is exactly the same (minus the speedo pick-up tube disconnection) for your drive.

Removing an Alpha drive. - YouTube

tpenfield

Staff member

Been there, done that . . . see links below

I took a few pictures, but more importantly, I marked the wires as to where they were connected. Most of the wiring is through the main harness connector, but there were probably 5-10 extraneous wires. I assume that you are not doing any engine work, but while it is out, you will have a good chance to look it over and address any issues that would be more difficult while it is in the boat.

Have lots of ZIPLOCK BAGS on hand for the various hardware and parts.

Removing Engine: Mercruiser 7.4L Rebuild - Pulling The Engine

Bulkhead & Stringers: Bulkhead and Stringer Repair

mwe-maxxowner

Awesome info! My links and videos to catch up on are piling up! Exactly what I wanted.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before you tear into things measure from the bottom of the crankshaft pulley to the bottom of the boat.This will give you a reference when you put the engine back in.The height is very important.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Make sure your engine hoist will work, if not, you can rent one

in addition to the zip lock bags, Blue tape and a permanent marker. mark the bags "motor mounts", "steering" etc. use the blue tape to mark both the wire you removed, and the location that it went to. I like to use "starter +", "starter sig", "temp sender" etc.

Measure as indicated, make sketches

take pics...... lots of pics

remember, if something needs to be removed like a seat box,etc. do not try to work around it. simply spend the time to remove it.

Another lesson I learned. Cover the gunwales with blue painters tape. it prevents you from trashing the gunwales. If you have upholstery, I have covered that with moving blankets. nothing worse than having to fix vinyl after damaging it during an engine R&R

mwe-maxxowner

My engine hoist will most likely be a skid steer, or a come-along hanging from a set of rafters.

tpenfield

Staff member

My engine hoist will most likely be a skid steer, or a come-along hanging from a set of rafters.

I used a 2,000 lb rated chain hoist, which are not much $$$, and hoisted the engine out in my garage. Of course, you have to be sure about those rafters.

mwe-maxxowner

Yeah, we have a family shop where we have a few rafters reinforced with one of those hanging from it where we pull motors. Its pulled my old 460 out a few times. But I don't wanna haul the boat much since I've already cut the floor out. Don't want the hull to move too much. So I'm looking into building a frame out of 6x6's or using a tree. Or resort to the skid steer. Gonna measure and see if the cherry picker will reach too.

mwe-maxxowner

I got the drive off. About to post some pictures of what I saw. That way you guys can let me know what needs to be done while its off. There was some milky water in there, so obviously there is a bad seal or something. I think my drive bellow may have some cracks.

20130123_103626.jpg

Is that a seal or a piece of the bellow?

20130123_103528.jpg

20130123_103519.jpg

20130123_103505.jpg

I think this water just spilled into the bottom from the top cavity as I pulled the drive.

20130123_103459.jpg

20130123_103435.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

You may have to 'bump' the drive to break the seal created by the gasket. Just put one of the nuts back on a few threads to stop it all ending up on the floor. :D :D Then just lift the drive a couple of inches and let it drop down. You might have to do that a few times.

Chris..

Bondo

Staff member

Pulling he drive as I type. I pulled the trim rams and the six bolts per that video and she won't budge. Do I force it or is there something else I should do? I was hoping to get it off a bit and then unattached the bellows, but should I fight them off now?

I think its just the "gasket" holding it from coming.

Ayuh,... Ya shifted into Forward 1st, Right,..??

If so, do as Chris says, 'n pick it up, 'n drop it...
If that don't work, put the trim rams back on, 'n use 'em to push it off...

mwe-maxxowner

Ayuh,... Ya shifted into Forward 1st, Right,..??

If so, do as Chris says, 'n pick it up, 'n drop it...
If that don't work, put the trim rams back on, 'n use 'em to push it off...

Yeah forward first! I was expecting it to separate at a different spot (insert embarrass smiley here). Came off easily with a chisel.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Be VERY careful what you use to label the wires as you disconnect things from the engine. I used a Dymo labeller with plastic label ribbon and it has turned into a nightmare! The labels are coming loose -- I wrapped them around the wire so they label would stick to itself (sticky side to sticky side) and even those are falling off. I would probably use plain old masking tape and a Sharpie marker if I were to do it again.

I would avoid using Dymo labels. They just aren't staying on.

Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need all three bellows, gimbal bearing, and ujoints at a minimum. Possibly the input shaft seal in the drive, and a yoke if it leaks. Drain and pressure check the drive before putting oil back in it.
If the shift cable is original, might want to consider it as well since you have to take it all apart anyway.