Power steering hose adapters.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to upgrade my worn out old style steering ram with the newer style one I just bought, after getting it home I noticed the openings where the hoses screw into are different than the ones on my older style. My hoses and fitting on the hoses are in great condition and I would like to reuse them. Does anybody know what type of fitting the new style ram takes and is there an adapter fitting that will work? My engine is 5.7 with a bravo drive, serial #s are in my signature. I would really prefer not to have to buy new hoses which leads to my next question. If I have to get new hoses there seems to be 2 types ones with the quick connectors and others that tread directly into the ram, does it matter which I use? Of course I would need to buy the quick connectors also. As always thanks in advance for the help. Going out to winterize tomorrow so I have some time to figure this out as it will be a spring project.

Mike

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Power steering hose adapters.

Mercruser has a quick connect adapter that will work with your existing hoses.The fittings are shipped with there replacement crate engines.

mr300z87

"Mercruser has a quick connect adapter that will work with your existing hoses.The fittings are shipped with there replacement crate engines."

My hoses are not the quick connect type if there is a fitting to adapt my old old hoses could you be a little more specific. I am not buying a replacement engine. LOL The fitting on my existing ram hose combo look like an auto brake line fitting only there is an o-ring. Inside the orifice on the old ram is a seat for the fitting. The new ram has a much deeper orifice with no seat. I am sure this type of fitting has a name as it can not be specific to Mercruiser. I will buy new hoses if need be but would like to avoid it as there not cheap.

Bondo

Staff member

I will buy new hoses if need be but would like to avoid it as there not cheap.

Ayuh,.... That's yer Best shot...

Many moons ago, I cut the ends off a set of hoses, 'n brazed the right ends on...
It's still holdin', so far...

Fun Times

Staff member

Achris just did a post about quick disconnect fittings that you may want to have a look at to see if it will help give you some ideas.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=582184

Also try googling merc part number 806034A2. This is the new design actuator assembly kit.

Edit: The following link is a much better description about the new design/"name" 'new no-feedback "DHB" Steering Cylinder Assembly which went from SAE power steering hose fittings to METRIC hose fittings.. Also new would be quick disconnect fittings as well.... http://www.justanswer.com/boat/3c8ic-disassemble-reassemble-mercruiser-power-steering.html

Last edited:

mr300z87

Found a used set of hoses will update when they arrive.

aquanautt

Recruit

Found a used set of hoses will update when they arrive.

I replaced my older 1989 saginaw ram with the updated version and also forked out $200 for the new hoses. Now the pressure hose will not fit into the flow control valve on the back of my gm pump. Nobody selling the hoses bothers to tell anyone about this. Is there a replacement adapter or do I need to get a new boat to fit it around my new steering ram. Frustrating. Any and All help is appreciated in advance. Aquanautt ps. I apologize if i didnt put this question in the right place.