Gimbal Bearing Greasing issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, ready to get this boat on the water again! Frustrating issues with Gimbal bearing. I installed a new Sierra Bearing assembly and the grease hole in the outter body, moved and became mis aligned with the zerk passage on the drive. After hammering in the assembly, I noticed it moved. No way to grease the bearing at this point...

I took out the bearing by turning it side ways and pulled it out (It didnt come out easy...ruined the inner race)

Bought another Sierra bearing and plan on taking out the bearing part and keeping my previous installed outter body installed in the boat (its in there good...even aligned with transom).

I am trying to grease this new bearing with no luck. I cant get grease to come out of the seals. I tried pumping a bunch of grease with my gun on top of the bearing hole on the body and it doesnt seem to penerate the bearing. In fact, it looks the body hole doesnt line up with anything (all I see is the outer race of the bearing when I look in the hole) How do I grease this before I install it??

Attached are pics of the new bearing assembly that I am trying to grease, and the other is the pic of the old sierra bearing that I took out of the housing (see that small hole? It's the only hole on the bearing..grease hole)?

I have about had it with this grease thing. Holding me up on everything. Should have just bought a permalube..

Thanks guys,

Joephoto1.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto3.JPG

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Gimbal Bearing Greasing issues!!

... Should have just bought a permalube..

OEM parts are the cheapest in the long run... Someone has that as their signature line, and it's oh so true....

Don't put bearing B centre in bearing A carrier. Merc made a big song and dance about this issue a good few years back. Released a service bulletin and all. Then started putting the bearings in with the slots facing forward, so you can't take the centre out of the carrier without first removing it from the transom assembly.

Best advice.... Pull the carrier out and toss it in the bin, followed by the 'new' sierra. Then get a Merc bearing and fit it with the slots facing the front of the boat... Job done, easy....

Chris.......

Edit: It's service bulletin 85-26. It makes interesting reading...

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Chris. I may just try to get that carrier out. Hate to spend another $100 on a new bearing when the new sierra brand new untouched. Why am I not seeing grease push out the seals?

Joe

achris

Thanks Chris. I may just try to get that carrier out. Hate to spend another $100 on a new bearing when the new sierra brand new untouched. Why am I not seeing grease push out the seals?

Joe

Anything from a blocked grease passage or nipple to a poorly made copy of the bearing (read 'Sierra').... Without seeing and examining it I just can't say.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I`ll try to make it simple. even without putting the hole where the grease comes out.
when you grease the bearing the grease will follow the thin groove around the tolerance ring to the hole.
from there it travels in the inside groove untill it finds the tiny hole in the bearings outer race visable in pic 3.
lining up the hole just makes it easier.
the reason merc uses to recommend you install it with slots foward is the be able to grease it when installed if using the greasable bearing.
There was a time merc recommended just changing the bearing IF it did not spin in the tolerance ring. should you desire to pop it out from the rear you take the chance of destroying the new bearing when installing it and if you do not locate the grease hole correctly you will not be able to grease it when installed. the bearing will fit both ways, only one way allows you to grease it otherewise its a quick failure.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting thread. I just pulled my drive off, a 1986 Alpha One. I had my gimbal bearing replaced at shop earlier this year, and when I pulled the drive off, I noticed the slots are facing the drive not forward, and the bearing seems dry...... Sounds like I should get a new Mercruiser bearing and have it installed correctly.........
Thanks for the information.

Fun Times

Staff member

OEM parts are the cheapest in the long run... Someone has that as their signature line, and it's oh so true....:redface::)

Best advice.... Pull the carrier out and toss it in the bin, followed by the 'new' sierra. Then get a Merc bearing and fit it with the slots facing the front of the boat... Job done, easy....

Chris.......
Chris nails it once again.:cool:

IMPORTANT: For greaseable gimbal bearings only: The dot on the gimbal bearing must be positioned at 10 o'clock.
IMPORTANT: Ensure that the notched edge of the bearing carrier faces inward in the bore.

Gimbal Bearing Installation,
NOTE: Alpha transom assemblies with serial numbers prior to 1A180260 were manufactured with greaseable gimbal bearings, which require periodic lubrication. Transom assemblies with serial number 1A180260 and higher were manufactured with Perma‑Lube bearings. In addition, Perma‑Lube kits are available for the earlier style assemblies. The greaseable bearings are identified by a plain dot and the Perma‑Lube bearings are identified by a yellow dot.
Transoms that use the Perma‑Lube gimbal bearing do not require the grease fitting on the gimbal housing or the grease retention seal in front of the gimbal bearing. Replacement Perma‑Lube gimbal bearings come with a special plug to replace the grease fitting. When replacing a lube‑style gimbal bearing with a Perma‑Lube bearing, it is necessary to remove the grease fitting from the transom and install the special plug.

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great info here guys. I will get that carrier out of the transom, and give the brand new sierra a try (even if it gets me a year..once it's lined up and greased..hate to use it as a paperweight).

How in the heck do I get the ring out? Thinking slide hammer, but now with the bearing out...I have less mass to knock it out with..just the outter ring to grab on to.

Thanks again! I hope to be boating this weekend!

Joe

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

reinstall the bearing in the tolerance ring first, then use the puller.

BajabossJD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This post was a huge help for me! As mentioned , reinstalled bearing and pulled the whole thing out with a puller and slide hammer. Installed new bearing.. lined up perfect. Grease fitting works as intended and the seal filled up! Thanks guys!

achris

This post was a huge help for me! As mentioned , reinstalled bearing and pulled the whole thing out with a puller and slide hammer. Installed new bearing.. lined up perfect. Grease fitting works as intended and the seal filled up! Thanks guys!

Another happy customer... :D:D

Please send cheques to:

Chris Adams....
Perth, Australia.....:D :D :D

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Ok, reading the thread with interest as worried if I have my bearing installed correct. By for above, I assume the dot is the indention on the face of the bearing. It has been some time since I installed mine and going by memory...does the dot not align with the grease hole and if so, my grease fitting is more like 2:00 on the transom ring, not 10? And, if installed with the dot "out" does that mean the slots (which I never noticed,) are inward and the bearing direction correct? achris ?

Status
Not open for further replies.