Alpha 1 lower unit install

ddraddy

Cadet
I am installing the lower unit back to the upper unit. How do I aligin the splines for the shifter. I may have have moved the upper part when cleaning it. Not sure do I put the lower in gear then set the upper pointing at the transom. Thanks again

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 lower unit install

Make sure the lower is in fwd by holding the shift arm insert and turning the prop shaft counter clockwise till you feel it lock.Shift arm on the upper should be straight ahead.Put them together and if they wont mate up ,move the prop shaft counter clockwise a tad.I have had an easier time doing this on my bench with the upper ,upside down.

Laddies

Banned

Put the lower unit in fwd and the upper shift shaft should have the tang pointed fwd

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm having the a similar problem. Can not get upper and lower togather on a Aplph 1 Gen II. It goes to within about an inch and won't go the rest. The spline is in its hole and the teeth seem to be lined up because when I turn the u-jounts I can hear the impeller turn. The water tub is in the large end of the coupling but I think the problem could be something to do with that. I took the units apart and I tried to push the couping on the water tub just to see if it would go and it was a real "Bear" to get on. I sanded it down a little and have grease on it but still won't go. Any suggestions? I don't want to force anything unless thats what I need to do. This is my first time doing this. Thanks