Teflon Tape on exhaust Mani plugs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teflon Tape on exhaust Mani plugs...

Read one of the post a ways back on not to use Teflon tape on exhaust manufold plugs and nipples. And the reason is...???

Re: Teflon Tape on exhaust Mani plugs...

Good question scaaty, it dosent get that hot ( not like auto manufold ) i have used it there.

Comment

I Believe it's Because,......The Tape is So Slippery, folks have a tendency to Over-Tighten,+ Crack the Cast Housings.......

Comment

Bodo , that is correct, however you don't need to overtighten and the plug used with tape and dope will always back out no matter how hard the dope gets or how long it's been in place. We use this methode on all jobs weather cast, black or steel.

Comment

Teflon tape and pipe dope are used for one thing they lubricate the threads of the pipe fitting.Pipe fittings are cut on a taper and are self sealing.Just tighten it up, don't crank on it. Beef

Comment

Could it be one should not use it on a manifold zinc anode because it will electrically isolate the two parts? Just a thought...

Comment

I don't know either. I just put on new mans last year, and I do remember in the destructions to use pipe dope only. And don't crank the daylights out of them, thats for sure, as that will stress the cast iron, and cracks wreck yer day. Theres no pressure, so you just need to snug them up anyway.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mischief Managed: Could it be one should not use it on a manifold zinc anode because it will electrically isolate the two parts? Just a thought...
                Theres no zincs in the exhaust..not that I know of anyway. I have one in my aluminum intake though, and ANY zinc must be metal to metal contact. No dope or tape

Comment

Originally posted by Mischief Managed: Could it be one should not use it on a manifold zinc anode because it will electrically isolate the two parts? Just a thought...
                  You Might be Onto Something,........Even though it's Not Anodes we're talking about,.......It IS a Totally Bonded System,.......That's the Why Fors of All the Little Woven Wires that Merc has screwed to every moving piece of the drives,.....I'm Sure that a manifold fitting would Also have to be Bonded,......Just for Electrolysis's(say That 3 times Fast) sake..............

Comment

Guys, Teflon is Teflon don't you think?

Comment

Well, my buddy works tool and die. Their engineers forbid them to use tape on any castings. Teflon thread sealant will ooze out of the thread... tape will not. The tape was designed for plastic fittings or plastic to metal fittings. Metal to metal was never the intent.
                      sigpicIf it were easy, any Caveman could do it.

Comment

Ayuh,......The Tape is really a Sheet of Plastic,+ I can see where you could Loose Metal to Metal Contact,.........Especially some people who Think,.. More is Better....... And like Keith says,.... The Paste just OOzes around,+ it IS in fact a Metal to Metal Contact...........

Comment

I bet that if you put an ohm meter up to a fitting and the manifold that was put in with thread tape, you would get zero ohms!
                          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                          "Common sense is not very common"
                          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

I use a LOT of USA MADE UL approved Teflon Tape Its rated for up to 2" NPT METAL PIPE ( NOT that POS stuff from CHINA they sell at most places now)We pipe a LOT of steam kettels for the last 32 years 5 to 5000 gallonAll of the kettels have SS nipples that get couppled to black fittings JUST try and get that to NOT leak with pipe dope without twisting one off About the 3rd time you take 17 fittings off to get to the one that fails a pressure test you will be likeing teflon tape USED CORRECTLY just fineAnd you can never be sure till its got 90 # of steam and all the different metals are done doing there thing And then you dump the steam and fill it full of ice water to cool off what you just cooked Pump it out and start pounding in steam to cook the next batch of soapAnd you will be changeing out the sections of pipe that get chewed up from the wet steam LONG before the tape ever leaks tommays
                            If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
                            http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
                            1981 J24 Tangent 2930
                            http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
                            Tommays
                            Northport Ny

Comment

The reason you don't want to use teflon tape on cast iron is because it allows you to over tighten.It is fine for other metals such as copper.
                              1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                              Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                              Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                              "Common sense is not very common"
                              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                              X