Dumb question, but is this the power steering resevoir on a 1991 4.3L 2bbl?

bcnul8tr

Seaman
So can anyone tell me if this is the power steering resevoir for a 1991 mercruiser 4.3L 2bbl??

Power Steering_resevoir.jpg

Thanks

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Dumb question, but is this the power steering resevoir on a 1991 4.3L 2bbl?

Yes it is.

bcnul8tr

Seaman
Part II Resevoir, grinding noise after I topped up the Power Steering Resevoir?

Part II Resevoir, grinding noise after I topped up the Power Steering Resevoir?

Thanks, now for part II.... I added some Dexron III ATF fluid to the resevoir as it was a little low. Took the boat out for a good hour or so, anchored for another 5 hours, and then came back in. When I arrived back and slowed down, I could hear what sounded like a grinding/humming type noise, when I turned the wheel, when it was straight no problem, but turning it now results in this noise? It turns just as easy as it did before, but this noise is new Any ideas as too what it could be? It was new Transmission fluid that I just bought, and it was low, but there was still some in the resevoir.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Part II Resevoir, grinding noise after I topped up the Power Steering Resevoir?

Re: Part II Resevoir, grinding noise after I topped up the Power Steering Resevoir?

Did you recheck the level?

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Damn, no I actually didn't but I will check it in the morning. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Pumps that are low on fluid tend to growl. Systems that have a leak tend to make the pump growl because the pump is low on fluid. Don't just keep filling it up as the fluid is going somewhere.

sharkin95

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if the noise is just on the turns check your gimbal bearing.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Ok so I checked the Power Steering fluid this morning, and it is full. I do have an update to the noise. While it was docked if the steering was centered there was no noie, turning it maybe a 1/16th of a turn either way the noise would start and continue for the whole time. If I turned the steering all the way to port or starboard and then back it off just a little the noise would go away, but would exist from that range back to almost center. It sounds just like a loud humming type noise. Is there anything else I can check while it is in the water, because it is not an easy job for me to haul it out where I live, which happens to be on salt water?

Don S

You are going to have to open the hatch, and listen to where the sound is coming from. Is it coming from the pump or the back of the engine? I can't hear it from here.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Back of the engine.

Don S

Pull the outdrive and check for water in the bellows and check the gimbal bearing and ujoints for roughness.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

ok, Thanks for the help, now I have to find someone to give me a hand pulling it out of the water.