1982 485 ranger engine swap to 470

start.jpgwiring1.jpgtrim.jpg

ok my question is 1: if this is the correct wiring diagram why is the oil temp hooked up to (brown whit 10) on instrument page and trim sender on engine page?
2: where does the (orange 4) from instrument page run? It inst listed on the engine page.
3: where is the power for the ignition switch coming from? (purple 5) on instrument page feeds only choke on engine page.
4: why am i getting no spark at the + side of coil?
5: please explain the working function of the starter slave solenoid, because i think this is where the no spark issue is originating.
6: 485 had stator working but engine seized by sinking and not draining the engine ,by previous owner, 470 had alternator installed by previous owner so any wiring help with this or pointers to look out for while wiring it would be appreciated.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 485 ranger engine swap to 470

1 sure its not blue/white.
2 believe its hard wired in the main harness to the red/purple
3 red/purple
4 you need 12V at the + side ,not spark.
5 power from the key, to the slave, slave operates main solenoid, main solenoid operates starter.

1 sure its not blue/white.
2 believe its hard wired in the main harness to the red/purple
3 red/purple
4 you need 12V at the + side ,not spark.
5 power from the key, to the slave, slave operates main solenoid, main solenoid operates starter.

1: yes it is right there on the diagram
2: sorry but that makes no since why would it be hard wired in harness if it is spliced apart leaving the ignition?
3: (red/purple 6) is 12 volt leaving ignition. I am asking about 12 volt into ignition.
4: sorry that is what i meant. I know that i should have constant 12 volt on coil + when starting and about 4-6 volt when ignition on or running coming from choke resistance wire. Right?
5: yes but there are 4 wires into starter slave solenoid. (yellow/red 7)through shift throttle control box (where i presume the neutral cut off switch is) from ignition. (yellow/red no number on diagram) to starter presumable to engage starter. (red/purple 6) goes to the ignition, presumably giving 12 volt to the accessory panel and starter slave solenoid. And (purple/yellow no number on diagram) going to coil +. What i want is to know where the 12 volt goes into the ignition and what exactly each of the four wires coming off the starter slave solenoid does.

thanks for help in clarifying this up.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

1 we dont use a oil temp gauge, that should be the gauge for the trim sender.
2,3 red/purple is the FEED TO THE IGN
4 approx. ,yes
5 the large red/purple is the 12V feed to the solenoid, the larger yellow/red goes to the starter solenoid lug,small yellow/red comes from the neutral safety in the control box, purple/yellow supplies full voltage to the coil during cranking.

1 we dont use a oil temp gauge, that should be the gauge for the trim sender.
2,3 red/purple is the FEED TO THE IGN
4 approx. ,yes
5 the large red/purple is the 12V feed to the solenoid, the larger yellow/red goes to the starter solenoid lug,small yellow/red comes from the neutral safety in the control box, purple/yellow supplies full voltage to the coil during cranking.

ok i think im getting it, my confusion is that i thought that the B on ignition was for 12v in, the I was for 12v out when key was turned on but not to start, and the C was for starter 12v when turned to start.
i think that i am use to old car ignitions where c is a s.
Right?
i think i got it im gonna look at the diagram again and think.

thanks for helping i will probably be back to vary that i understand.
boats not here now but when i turn it over it turns but no volt at + side coil any idea while i think?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

ign switch usually has 3 terminals.
B main 12V input power from battery
I usually a purple wire powering up the gauges ,panel lights(sometimes), supplies power to the engine systems, power to the coil, etc.
S starter solenoid
with ign switch to on, you should see reduced voltage at the + side of the coil.the only time you will see full battery power is if the
ign system has been changed and the new system requires the full 12V .

ign switch usually has 3 terminals.
B main 12V input power from battery
I usually a purple wire powering up the gauges ,panel lights(sometimes), supplies power to the engine systems, power to the coil, etc.
S starter solenoid
with ign switch to on, you should see reduced voltage at the + side of the coil.the only time you will see full battery power is if the
ign system has been changed and the new system requires the full 12V .

ok so this will be long cuz im really trying to understand the workings
1: battery + side goes to starter (red wire) then to yellow/red going to starter slave solenoid and out to I through (red/pupple 6) on ignition? And this provides the 12volt to ignition????
2: when ignition is turned to (on,or run or one turn to right not engaging starter) it sends 12volt to all instruments then to choke then through resistance wire to + side coil at about 5 volt?
3: when ignition is turned to start it sends 12volt to c yellow/red through neutral safety switch to starter slave solenoid? then to starter through I DONT KNOW IM LOST HERE and to the coil +?
4: This cant be what is the path of 12volt from battery to the ignition I?

hold on man you just said that the I (red/purple 6) was sending 12volt to ignition

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

awire.jpg

see if this one is easier to follow the red/purple wire.
in this one dis-regard the letters on the ign switch.most ign switches have B the red line,(this supplies 12v power to the ign switch) I the purple line,(with the switch in the on or run position powers up the gauges and ign systems)) S the yellow/red line.(when key is turned to "start" energizes the slave solenoid witch inturn energizes the main solenoid on the starter)
wiring1.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

R/P supplies 12v TO the ignition (hence the fuse). Purple is 12V out when the ignition is on. Yellow/red is start, to the slave solenoid.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

just incase were using the original switch
Untitled1111.jpg

awire.jpg

see if this one is easier to follow the red/purple wire.
in this one dis-regard the letters on the ign switch.most ign switches have B the red line,(this supplies 12v power to the ign switch) I the purple line,(with the switch in the on or run position powers up the gauges and ign systems)) S the yellow/red line.(when key is turned to "start" energizes the slave solenoid witch inturn energizes the main solenoid on the starter)
wiring1.jpg

i think that may help could you re post top diagram cuz i cant see top but noticed that r/p on your engine diagram hold on a minute i see the dot on mine now to.
let me look and think.

ok thanks a million i didnt see the dot on r/p 6 leading to starter slave solenoid. was trying to figure out how power was getting to starter slave solenoid.
BOY I FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT OVER NOT SEEING A DOT!:facepalm:

1: So if it come to wiring a alternator the best place for a 1 wire would be the dot previously overlooked?
2: since engine is turning over with no volt to +coil, purple/yellow is bad or corroded or starter slave solenoid is bad but since it regulates starter engagement and that's working its probably wire?
3: why are you missing a yellow wire on your diagram for starter slave solenoid?
4: THANK YOU THANK YOU for putting up with me i just like to understand everything about a boat before i take it out.You should have seen me tearring into my last 1969 tom sawyer with 1969 buick v6 oddfire. talk about a learning process.Had to rewire that one without a wiring harness or diagram

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

that diagram is for a later year with electronic dist. solenoid is wired small yellow/red and black to operate.
a 1 wire GM type alt. can use the heavy red/purple or the heavy orange from the old regulator wiring.

so what do you guys think about trying to repair the original 485.
It was sunk at dock, to the top of the engine. when the craned it out the left it upside down for 2 hours.then parked it in the back of a restaurant tell i saved her.
i first drained the oil and at first it looked good then about a litter of clear water.My hart sank!
Reinstalled the oil plug and removed plugs and poured a gal of tranny fluid into plugs then let sit for couple days.
On my return sprayed pb blaster into plugs the tried to turn it at crank but bent my ratchet.
So i gave a budy a 2002 grandam with a blown head gasket for his 1983 bayline with a 470.
did the swap and it line up perfect. outdrive and all. Side note i did have to change the bottom flange of the heat riser to account for the different ones.
bayliner didnt have power steering and the aftermarket alternator is bolted on where the power steering unit should be.
I will probably run it with the power steering unit in the bilge not working first then decide if i should move alternator and get new belt or try to salvage 485 stator and regulator.
with the block and i presume the head on these being aluminum would it be safe to believe that only the moving components inside be susceptible to corrosion and if so what would be the expense in trying to rebuild?
i know some of the parts are from 460 ford and readily available but i would assume different crank and cam, any one now what else or if it time to use all external parts from the 485 on the 470.

dude thanks man vary helpful.
ill be honest im a little scared of this boat.
This things almost flat bottom with a 185hp light aluminum 4 cylinder Knowing what 155hp v6 heavy engine was able to move a big old heavy thick fiberglass deep v.
little concerned about the power and speed this thing will have on this type of hull.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

;)you should be able to disassemble the 485,and part it out for a pretty good buck. Especially the cast aluminum parts and the block and crank. You would be surprised what just the front rotor on the crank goes for. Lots of us out here need NLA parts.

yes that is an option but as i have dealt with trying to find parts for the oddfire engine matted to a 1969 omc i know not to sell parts telll i sell the boat