Warm starting issues 5.7 Mercruiser

pbanks

Recruit
Hello,

This is my first time posting on this form and I'm a newbie so go easy on me. I have a '97 Celebrity 190 BR with a 5.7 Mercruiser. 9/10 times on a cold start it is turn key and the other time it just takes a bit of gas. However, after a good run and the engine warms up - it generally runs at about 150 - it takes a lot of cranking to start. On occasion if the blower is run for several minutes it results in a turn key start but I suspect that it is a result of the engine cooling as opposed to fumes being cleared. I am always able to get it to start but I hate to stand there and wear down my starter cranking and cranking. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Warm starting issues 5.7 Mercruiser

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this form and I'm a newbie so go easy on me. I have a '97 Celebrity 190 BR with a 5.7 Mercruiser. 9/10 times on a cold start it is turn key and the other time it just takes a bit of gas. However, after a good run and the engine warms up - it generally runs at about 150 - it takes a lot of cranking to start. On occasion if the blower is run for several minutes it results in a turn key start but I suspect that it is a result of the engine cooling as opposed to fumes being cleared. I am always able to get it to start but I hate to stand there and wear down my starter cranking and cranking. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard Paul,.... Are ya advancin' the throttle, in neutral to start it,..??

Is this a carbed motor, or Efi,..??
If carbed, which 1,..??