Gear Lube Monitor Kit

TJC1891

Recruit
I have a 1991 Alpha 1 (Gen II) drive and it does not have a Gear Lube Monitor. I was looking to install one and was wondering if anyone had experience doing this. Looking at the kit, I see that it comes with what appears to be a transom gasket. I can't find any installation instructions anywhere online. Is the outdrive pre-set for the upgrade? Or will I have to take the outdrive apart and the bellows off to run the hose to the drive? I am hoping it is a fairly simple install where I do all the work under the engine cowling. I included a picture of the inside behind the motor where I believe the gear lube hose mounts behind the engine and at the transom (The brass hex screw). I also included a picture of the kit I was going to order depending on how complex the install is. Inside.jpgKit.jpg

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Gear Lube Monitor Kit

That's the kit you want. Yes, the allen plug needs to be removed. No, you shouldn't have to pull the bellows but when was the last time they were changed?
It's not a quick thing to do. What makes you think you need it? just curious, boats already over 20yrs old.

TJC1891

Recruit

Do you know why the kit includes the gasket/transom seal?

The bellows are in good condition. No cracking or rot and the clamp is in great condition. The bellows were replaced about 5 years ago.

The only reason I want to add the monitor is just so I can keep track of the gear lube throughout the season. I change it every Spring and visually check it in the Fall. I always check the engine oil, steering fluid and trim fluid but i don't regularly check the gear oil before going out on the lake. I discovered the kit when I was talking to a buddy about his boat and he told me he was low on gear lube in his drive monitor. I knew I didn't have a drive monitor but then I saw an older Mercruiser with the other kit (round bottle) that goes through the hull and screws in to the vent screw. After a little browsing online, I found this kit and found it is compatible with the generation ii alpha 1. With shipping the kit sells for $120.00 online.

Thanks for the reply.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you know why the kit includes the gasket/transom seal?

If you're asking about the gasket that's in the left side of the picture under the rubber hose, that's the drive to bell housing gasket so the instructions must have you pulling the drive. The thing is when pulling the drive it's best to replace more than just that gasket with the proper $10 gasket set and glue/lube as the manual indicates when replacing the drive.

Mark