86' mercruiser 170. Low compression in one cylinder

Sjfvalentino

Recruit
New to site. I just bought a wellcraft with a 170 merc. Had compression test done. 150 on three and 100 on the fourth. What does this mean? Boat stalls at throttle when cold then appears to run fine when heated up. Are these two related? Should the low compression be addressed immediately? How does these type of repairs generally cost? Any help is appriciated.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 86' mercruiser 170. Low compression in one cylinder

It means that it is time to replace the head gasket and the exhaust elbow and reservoir gaskets. Also time for a valve job and hardened exhaust valve seats. Use a OEM Mercruiser head gasket. follow the instructions here EXACTLY: http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser8.html#/0 BTW Did you add oil for a "wet" compression reading? If so did the compression increase? #4 cylinder is often where problems with the 470 first show up.

Could cause your cold stalling.

A good time to start learning to do your own repairs.

Sjfvalentino

Recruit

Thanks stony, unfortunately i am inept mechanically. How much do you think these repairs will cost me? Also should i use the boat at all until i get it fixed? We did not do the wet test. From my reading i gather if it holds pressure with the oil in it, chances are its the piston ring? Lastly does the motor have to come out o the boat to make these repairs? Thank you for your advice. I think i may have gotteb taken to the cleaners...hull and inside of boat is in very good condition.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Can't really say, but when I did mine I spent about $450, but that includes a complete valve job, hardened seats and replacing a couple of valves. For a head gasket only, the parts will you about $70. The labor is where the expense is, and I do not know how many hours it will take. The engine does not have to come out. It is not a terribly hard job, and any good mechanic should be able to do it, just have to be sure to follow the instructions in the manual. Try the compression with the added oil. If it comes up significantly there is a chance it is the rings (don't get your hopes up) and you could probably run it, if not it is probably the gasket or a valve and I would not run it because it will only get worse and could do some damage. Yeah it is a bummer, but if you get it running well it is a pretty good motor and you should get years of service out of it. As for mechanical ability, you would be surprised how easy some of this stuff is. Read the manual over a few times so you will understand what needs to be done, that way you will be better informed if you take it to a mechanic. The encouraging thing is the other compression numbers are great which is a good sign. Good luck.

Sjfvalentino

Recruit

Thanks partner, ill do some reading and see if its a project i want to take on myself. Your input is greatly appriciated.