Vapor Lock

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Has anyone had an issue with their engine vapor locking after stopping for 30 minutes to an hour? I know it is an issue and know the recommended procedure for avoiding it. I am looking for how to make it start back when we forget and just shut it down or even better a real fix so it doesn't happen at all.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Vapor Lock

I ordered the water check valve kit. I'm going to try that first. I will have to figure out where to put it. According to the manual I have (#31) it goes between the cool fuel and the distribution housing but things that i have read online say something about coming off the thermostat housing. I will trace the lines to be sure.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Open the engine hatch and let things cool down. So many of the newer boats have the engine hatches insulated to make them quiet, and all the holes plugged (again to keep things quiet) that once you shut it off the heat stays in and there is no air circulation.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Run your bilge blower all the time. It seems to work pretty well.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Open the engine hatch and let things cool down. So many of the newer boats have the engine hatches insulated to make them quiet, and all the holes plugged (again to keep things quiet) that once you shut it off the heat stays in and there is no air circulation.

Yes I tried to do this after the fact. In our area (good problem to have) if you leave the hatch open for more than a couple of minutes you have a constant stream of people stopping to see if you need help :) Glad they do because last night it never started back so we got a tow in since it was getting late.

Do you know if the water check valve by itself should take care of vapor lock, assuming that is the problem, or should I expect to have to install the additional fuel pump also?

The double blower is pretty noisy back there which discourages leaving it running. What if I put a piece of foam rubber over it to mute the noise?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It goes between the cool fuel and the power steering cooler. It's only there to prevent water siphoning out of the cooler when the engine is shut off. I seriously doubt you are going to get that with an Alpha drive, water is not going to siphon out past the raw water pump.\

No, it will not stop a vapor lock.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well after a long process of trying to add blowers and fiddle with this and that nothing really worked. If you didn't open the hatch it would not start back. I took the plunge and purchased the Mercruiser boost pump kit and it now works flawlessly. I wish I had just done this to begin with. If anyone is interested I took pictures of the install and would be glad to post them.