Replacing bellows on a Mercruiser alpha 1 sterndrive?

flyrodman

Banned
I don't understand why I'm told to remove the two trim bolts inorder to replace the bellows.
I've removed the upper unit with drive shaft.
Then,loosened all the clamps to all the bellows.
Exhaust bellows was simple to remove.
Then,I cut the water pump hose so I don't break the plastic elbow connection.
Then,I just lifted up the housing a little pulled out the drive shaft bellows.
Seem's to me there's enough room to get in to install the bellows without removing the trim bolts.
Has anyone installed bellows without removing the trim bolts before?

indigobluex

Cadet
Re: Replacing bellows on a Mercruiser alpha 1 sterndrive?

i put new bellows gimble brg and shifter cable and bellows on my 87 alpha with only removing the out drive. i left the gimble ring and trim senders etc all on. it took a few swivel sockets but it was a pretty easy task. and as far as the shifter bellow pull the set screw off the back and unhook the cable from the carb. slide the cable out then there should be a 9/16 brass bolt looking thing in the housing unscrew that and pull the cable housing out the back of the transom then u can remove the bellow. when u slide the housing through the new bellow grease it it is a tight fit but it goes and make sure when u slide the cable back in the housing it is very clean and slides easy if not it wont shift right i had to take mine back off and clean cause i dropped in dirt and didnt clean through

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Instead of starting a separate thread for each item on your transom shield, figure out what all you want to do and do it all at once. I gave you a link to the manual, you use the same section of info in the manual to change the shift cable, all the bellows, hoses, trim swtichs and the shift cable.
You haven't tried getting the old bellows or water hose off the bellhousing and back on with the housing still installed.

flyrodman

Banned

Yes,I appolize.I thought of that.Seem's when you do that you only get one answer or not all questions answered.plus confusing people as well,having multi questions.
Well,here is my questions,
Which way do you turn the retainer ring to remove the retainer ring?
Where do you unhook the shift cable to remove the old shift cable bellows?
I think thats the only questions left I have.
Thanks for the manual photos as well.Better instruction in your manual then my manual.
Last as for this topic I started.Yes,seems there is enough room to replace all 3 bellows without removing the trim side bolts.Sure less room to work with.But my question was "Has anyone ever replaced the bellows without having to remove the trim bolts?".
Thanks.

flyrodman

Banned

Yes I did download the manual you sent me.Thanks!I'm still working on removing the big nut for the drive shaft removal.Is it standard thread or reverse thread?Doesn't say in the manual.
As for the shift bellows I haven't tackled that yet.I got the drive shaft bellow's & exhaust bellow's off.That shift cable bellow's looks like a pain in the apple.There is a metal block/shifter with a screw with wire attached to the shifter cable.I was told to cut the wire,remove the set screw.The plastic cable is still attached to the housing.I take it I need to remove that nut as well?

flyrodman

Banned

I don't understand what end of the cable do you remove and install the new shift cable bellows?As why unhook the cable from the carb if I'm unhooking from the shift thing with the set screw?
So,I'm pulling the shift cable out of the boat?Is why to unhook the cable from the carb?I don't understand?