water jackets clogged!

Josh9685

Seaman
HI<br />I have discovered why my engine overheats; the water jackets are filled with sand and rust.<br /><br />The engine is a 460, and viewing from the freeze plugs(3 per side) reveals that it is about half full of the stuff. I have managed to get most of the material out using my fingers and a shop vac about an inch around each plug. <br />My question/problem is: how do I clean the rest of it out that is at the front of the engine and the back? <br />is the water jacket continous around the block as I suspect it is, or is it just on the sides? <br />I don't want to have the engine hot tanked because I don't really know how to rebuild an engine.<br />thanks<br />Josh

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water jackets clogged!

Yes, the water jackets go all the way around the cylinders. It keeps the cylinders equally cool. Hot spots are worse than all the engine hot.<br />Your problem is one of the major problems with raw water cooled engines, and when they get plugged up, they have to be cleaned out ALL THE WAY AROUND.

Don S

Hate to say this, but I'm not sure if it's even possible. If I were you, I would be looking for another engine.<br />Your problem is one of the facts of life of a raw water cooled engine. They corrode, and plug up.

Josh9685

Seaman

hi,<br />is it possible to pop the heads off and have the engine "hot tanked?" but leave the rest of the engine assembled?<br /><br />if not, to save money, is it possible to carefully label all bearings, pushrods, etc. and reuse them after hot tanking>?<br /><br />will hot tanking remove all this stuff?

Don S

is it possible to pop the heads off and have the engine "hot tanked?" but leave the rest of the engine assembled?<br />
Absolutely NO!!!<br /><br />
if not, to save money, is it possible to carefully label all bearings, pushrods, etc. and reuse them after hot tanking>?
Yes, if the bearings are any good. But the block has to be empty of EVERYTHING. Crank, pistons, lifters, if it's bolted to it, it has to come off.<br /><br />But there is still the chance the hot tank won't get all the corrosion and sand out of it.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

One option U have is to run the engine with the block drain petcocks opened and with a screwdriver,un-clog each of them till they flow freely then run the boat hard as long as u can without sinkin it! (Go bilge pump!)Keep an eye on the temp!

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

i/o waldo<br />You are telling this guy to run the engine with the drains open... when will the thermostat open?<br />Even if the drains are flowing freely, how can he tell how much debris is still left in the block? When was the last time you did this???<br />Josh<br />You can either run the engine the way it is, or<br />disassemble the engine.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

Four times last summer at the marina I work at.We get a lot of problems with silt/sand buildup in the water jackets in the brackish river here.Works fine every time!Run the engine till warm,open drains,haulass till you r about to sink!Who knows if it completly flushes the jackets.Either this or pull the engine to be SURE!(With a good inpeller,there is more than enough cooling water to both flush & cool.)

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

well......................i guess you can try to do that, and take the chance of sinkin' it............WHATEVER!!!!!! sounds a little crazy to me...i agree with don

klos

Petty Officer 1st Class

In both of my auto repair shops we have a tool called a flush gun. A garden hose hooks to one connection and air hose to the other for regulated compressed air. We use the pressurized air and water to flush cooling systems and heater cores and have cleaned some pretty nasty/rusty cooling systems with great success. If the debris is somewhat loose (not solidified) this method will work.

I/O WALDO

Petty Officer 1st Class

THAT sound like the gadget MADE for this fix!!Can it be adapted to a raw boat?