Mercruiser Trim goes down, but won't go up!!! Please help

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice
The wires coming from the trim switch; the purple one is plugged in; we have a left over blue wire that we are not sure where it goes. the trim switch runs it down fine, but it will not run it up. with trailer switch and without. when you push the trailer switch it just clicks to raise it. if i cross the wires on the switch, it does the same so it appears the switch is fine. on the top solenoid if i cross the two large post with a screw driver it runs it up fine.
The mercathode on the side of the motor appears to be all hooked up right with the mercruiser manual.
Any thoughts / suggestions would be helpful.
(88 Baja w/ 454)

Attachments

• IMAG0668.jpg
    IMAG0668.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0669.jpg
    IMAG0669.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMAG0671.jpg
    IMAG0671.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0672.jpg
    IMAG0672.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 30

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Mercruiser Trim goes down, but won't go up!!! Please help

Sounds like a dead solenoid. Try swapping them and confirm that the problem follows the solenoid...

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Do u know what the purple wire our the extra blue wire does? We have an extra blue wire that we don't see on our manual and don't know where it goes.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

trim limit switch connections...

ksukats57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Had the same problem on both our boats. My parent's sea ray ended up needing trim limit switches (although I would think the trailer button would bypass the limit switches?) My boat needed a solonoid.

If you push the "up" button on the controller (not the trailer button), can you hear a click in the back? If so, try tapping really fast on the up button (seriously), sometimes that will un stick the solonoid. This redneck boat mechanic showed me that and it fixed mine.

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions, we will be trying all of them in about an hour. Our problem is that the diagrams do not show a purple & two blue wires so that is where we r stuck as well. What does the trim do, just give the reading to the gauge on the dash? If the two blues go to ur trim senders, where does the purple go?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The problem is, that is not OEM wiring. You will need to find where all the wires go to, make yourself a wiring diagram of what you have, and compare it to how the oem wiring is setup.

From the picture below,
Where do the three wires marked (A) go to, assuming a trim switch, which terminals.
Where does the bundle of blue wires (B) go to.
The plug (C) should have a red/purple wire, a blue/white, and a green/white, all going to the trim switch. If they do, what does A do??????

attachment.php

Attachments

• Trim wires.jpg
    Trim wires.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 38

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

The two blue and green are going into the plug. im sorry but I cannot upload addl pictures right now, but believe my orig pics showed. Our plug (c) has two blues & a green, of those three one blue isn't going anywhere currently, the green is going to the tilt trim switch at the dash, & the other blue is going thru the transom. Unfortantly we dont know what the previous owner did.the other blue wire is running from the selnoid to trailer switch. The purple wire is coming from the trim switch as well, but not to the plug.
D1 said:

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Ours looks like ur picture, we just need to confirm where the purple goes amd the two blue wires. If help is sooo much appreciated.
The problem is, that is not OEM wiring. You will need to find where all the wires go to, make yourself a wiring diagram of what you have, and compare it to how the oem wiring is setup.

From the picture below,
Where do the three wires marked (A) go to, assuming a trim switch, which terminals.
Where does the bundle of blue wires (B) go to.
The plug (C) should have a red/purple wire, a blue/white, and a green/white, all going to the trim switch. If they do, what does A do??????

attachment.php

The two blue and green are going into the plug. im sorry but I cannot upload addl pictures right now, but believe my orig pics showed. Our plug (c) has two blues & a green, of those three one blue isn't going anywhere currently, the green is going to the tilt trim switch at the dash, & the other blue is going thru the transom. Unfortantly we dont know what the previous owner did.the other blue wire is running from the selnoid to trailer switch. The purple wire is coming from the trim switch as well, but not to the plug.

Don S

It is your picture, I just put the circles and arrows on it. I can see where the wires are in your picture, I need to know where and what the other ends of those wires go to. We can't trace the wires out from our computers, you have to do that.

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Please see my 1st response to ur labled picture. I did my best explaining where the other ends go. Let me know if u need addl info.

Don S

Can you pull that trim and trailer button panel out and take a picture of how they are wired?

Then, Disconnect both of the blue wires coming out of plug C, with a meter or test light connected to ground, find out which wire coming out of plug C has power to it. With a picture of buttons wiring and the power info, I think we can make this work .

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

trim switch.jpgtrim.jpg

Here is our switch and a picture of the switch turned directly over. So when you are looking at the pic of the wires, the trim is still on the left and the trailer is on the right. any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Don S

Then, Disconnect both of the blue wires coming out of plug C, with a meter or test light connected to ground, find out which wire coming out of plug C has power to it.

Still need the above answered.

I have noticed one thing already, you are missing the orange wire back by the the trim pump. That should be hooked up to one of the terminals on plug C in my lettered picture. but may pick up power from the ignition switch.
The blue wire shouldn't be hooked to the solenoid, and if the green wire at plug C is actually hooked to the small green wire on the trim pump, it's the only one that is right.

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Coming out of plug C, one of the blue wires has power. The green and other blue does not have 12v.

The orange wire on the switch is getting power under the dash, i test lighted it and that is where the switch is getting its 12v. There is a purple, blue, and green wires going from the switch back to the trim pump. we don't know if it is factory wires/colors. From outside of the boat where the drain plug is, we have your two hydrolic lines going to the trim pump along with an orange wire and a brown wire; i have the orange wire going to the positive on mercathode box; i have the brown wire going to the same box on the "R" like the manual shows.

Don S

Ok, got it figured out. You can keep the orange and red wires on the switch the same, matter of fact the wires on the switch are all ok, it's just where they get hooked on the other end.

Your blue wire on the C plug that has power is no longer used. The blue wire on the solenoid coming from the switch goes away, not where it should be.

Here is your wiring diagram, just for you.

rewire.jpg

Last edited:

mwilley22

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you thank you thank you! It is working.

janderson

Recruit

Ok, got it figured out. You can keep the orange and red wires on the switch the same, matter of fact the wires on the switch are all ok, it's just where they get hooked on the other end.

Your blue wire on the C plug that has power is no longer used. The blue wire on the solenoid coming from the switch goes away, not where it should be.

Here is your wiring diagram, just for you.

View attachment 155524

Thanks Don S Your pictures and explanation helped us solve a trim/lift solenoid problem - thanks for the forum thread and your knowledge!