Intermediate Shift Shaft shoe Sits too HIGH?

Had problems with shifting and talked to a mechanic who said I likely didn't have the washer on on the lower shift shaft bushing. He was right. Replaced the washer and put the halves back together. Now when trying to put the outdrive on the boat I swear that intermediate shaft boot sits too high. It catches on my gasket and the bottom of the bell housing. Please look at your boat and tell me if it looks like this pic.

alpha 1 gen 1

IMG_20120613_100107.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Intermediate Shift Shaft shoe Sits too HIGH?

Looks like you got the rubber washer and the metal washer assbackwards.... The rubber goes UNDER the metal one....

The rubber washer is down inside the bushing and the metal one was placed flat on top. You confirmed something isn't right. Maybe the metal washer slid up the shaft some and got cockeyed. I'm not sure that's possible, but I'll take it back apart and see. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Maybe too much grease... That could hold the shaft up too high too.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

My guess, the intermediate shift shaft is not fully seated on the splined lower shift shaft. Try pushing it down, maybe turn it a little, make sure the ss faces forward when turned fully clockwise (forward).

It doesn't appear to b too much grease. I turn shift shaft clockwise while locking the prop ccw and face the intermediate straight forward each time. It shifts by hand when together. Is my intermediate shaft the right one? It flares out at the bottom and pics I find online don't. I've wiggled, pushed and even tapped on the thing to try and make it sit down.

Here is a photo from Ziggy of what the height should be at:

Attachments

• Ziggy photo.jpg
    Ziggy photo.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

intermediate.jpgThanks. Too bad that nut is blocking the part of the shaft I want to see. Attached is a picture of the flared out end of the shaft I wondered about.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Here is what mine looks like. Did you use a Mercruiser washer? Could be that your washer is too thick, or too large diameter and is sitting on top of casting rather then down in. Can't remember how it is supposed to go. The washer should be 0.030 inches thick 1" diameter.

Attachments

• 101_0370.JPG
    101_0370.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0

Stony I'm an idiot, you're a genius ha. Smashed on that washer was. I've heard of those getting bent, but my god... I put the drive back on the boat with just the new washer and that linkage fits like Eric's picture. Thanks guys!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

A picture sometimes IS worth a thousand words LOL.