Gear Oil coming out of weep hole in lower unit

ASEAudie

Seaman
Just wondering if this is a Seal issue? It started coming out the small hole soon after filling the gear case; normal filling by the bottom drain hole and pumping oil in until it came out of the vent hole.
Any ideas?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear Oil coming out of weep hole in lower unit

Hard to say. Drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive and find the leak.

ASEAudie

Seaman

Hard to say. Drain the gear lube and pressure check the drive and find the leak.

Thank you for your knowledge, the customer also wants the impeller replaced (which I have performed on several boats with great success) so that would be a good time to check it over. I have never seen oil come out of that little hole. I have also replaced gears and other components in lower units, but this stumped me.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... I have also replaced gears and other components in lower units....

Using the correct shimming tools and procedures according to the manual I hope!

cr2k

Captain

Drive model?

Steve91T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wondering if this is a Seal issue? It started coming out the small hole soon after filling the gear case; normal filling by the bottom drain hole and pumping oil in until it came out of the vent hole.
Any ideas?

I've got an Alpha one Gen 2 and mine has a very small leak out the weep hole. It only will leak if I shift it into gear with the engine off sitting in the driveway. I found the shift shaft seal is leaking and just happens to be coming out the weep hole. Take a look at the shift shaft and see if there is oil around it.

ASEAudie

Seaman

I've got an Alpha one Gen 2 and mine has a very small leak out the weep hole. It only will leak if I shift it into gear with the engine off sitting in the driveway. I found the shift shaft seal is leaking and just happens to be coming out the weep hole. Take a look at the shift shaft and see if there is oil around it.

I haven't even looked at this unit as of yet, been really busy, I am closed on weekends so that I can play catchup if I don't go fishing. I plan on pulling this unit in and locking the doors; at this time I will start eye-balling this thing and hopefully get it figured out, I appreciate the ideas and will respond with what I find.
Everyone have a great weekend.

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

again..... drain and pressure test there is a bad seal somewhere.

Ninjafied

Seaman

i was just dealing with the same problem after a new impeler install, i replaced both top and bottom water pump halves then replaced the shift shaft bushing.
after a pressure test with a little soap i found the lower water pump housing was leaking, this was a new part but i guess these things happen.
so i replaced the lower housing again now all is well
thanks to all that helped in this post all good tips

dymd3z

Cadet

Hey guys, new to the forum board here. I am having a similar if not the same problem here, I just purchased a 1995 Maxum 1800 Ski Boat.
Guy I bought it from stated, that he just had it serviced and had a new prop put on it and mechanic stated everything looked great.
When I got it home and parked it the next day I noticed a few droplets of greenish oil underneth the outboard prop.
Looked at it very close and it seems as if the oil is coming out 1 of the small holes right above the prop.
Is there an issue or could this just be where they had just serviced everything.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I am a 1st time boat owner so dont know a whole lot about boats.

Pete104

Lieutenant

You all have to drop your lowers & check the shift shaft seal. The seal has been the same since 1963 & since '91 been pushed into a plastic bushing. Replacement seals push back out usually. Replace the whole bushing & shaft assembly!

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Hy dymd3z and welcome to iboats forums! I recommend you copy and paste your first post into a new thread started by you. Also provide as much info about your equipment as possible (model numbers, serial numbers, operating history, etc). It will then allow the forum to concentrate on you problem and it wont get lost in the other person's thread (also known as hijacking....pretty crude term, but it is what it is).
Best of luck in getting your issue addressed. I'll look for it in the new thread and I am sure you will get the personalized help you need.
Also, please go to the top of the mercruiser forum and open the threads called "stickys". They will provide you (as a new boat owner) with a wealth of information and links that you need... particularly you should download copies of the manuals for your engine and outdrive. If you are like me, you wont be disasppointed!

KTB

dymd3z

Cadet

KB, thank you very much, I made a new thread and I hope I can get someone to help me out. Again thank you very much!
Bo

Hy dymd3z and welcome to iboats forums! I recommend you copy and paste your first post into a new thread started by you. Also provide as much info about your equipment as possible (model numbers, serial numbers, operating history, etc). It will then allow the forum to concentrate on you problem and it wont get lost in the other person's thread (also known as hijacking....pretty crude term, but it is what it is).
Best of luck in getting your issue addressed. I'll look for it in the new thread and I am sure you will get the personalized help you need.
Also, please go to the top of the mercruiser forum and open the threads called "stickys". They will provide you (as a new boat owner) with a wealth of information and links that you need... particularly you should download copies of the manuals for your engine and outdrive. If you are like me, you wont be disasppointed!

KTB

ASEAudie

Seaman

I finally got a chance to remove the lower, drained the remaining oil and gave her a little pressurized air into the weep hole and crap came flying out past the shift shaft. All the seals could probably be replaced in this 1972 clunker. Just wondering if I should even attempt any repairs or just call the guy and say the parts are NLA. What do you guys think?

achris

SEI lower for about $600 is even cheaper than stripping the box and putting new seals in... It's a 'no-brainer' for me...

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I finally got a chance to remove the lower, drained the remaining oil and gave her a little pressurized air into the weep hole and crap came flying out past the shift shaft. All the seals could probably be replaced in this 1972 clunker. Just wondering if I should even attempt any repairs or just call the guy and say the parts are NLA. What do you guys think?

Ok...hmmm...let me see if I understand what you wrote. You say you did the pressure test "into the weep hole"? I think there is a GCE here.... No doubt blowing air into the weep hole would blow crap up and out of that area, and "past" the shift shaft (area)..... But what about the pressure test of the oil chamber? Got more info? KTB

ASEAudie

Seaman

SEI lower for about $600 is even cheaper than stripping the box and putting new seals in... It's a 'no-brainer' for me...

I don't know what SEI means, I presume it is a rebuilt lower. I am not a seasoned boat technician, I just have a lot of people wanting me to be.

ASEAudie

Seaman

Ok...hmmm...let me see if I understand what you wrote. You say you did the pressure test "into the weep hole"? I think there is a GCE here.... No doubt blowing air into the weep hole would blow crap up and out of that area, and "past" the shift shaft (area)..... But what about the pressure test of the oil chamber? Got more info? KTB

I drained the lower, the first place I added air pressure was the lower drain/fill plug, it seemed to hold ok, then I decided to blow into the weep hole. The spot where I noticed the fresh oil look was the small O-ring seal on the top outside edge where it meets with the upper housing, the shift shaft seal has what looks like a seepage over time (not fresh leak).
Thing is, this guy brought a new prop in also, and he claims it is hard shifting too. So, just wondering how much time and effort should be exerted towards this thing.

achris

I don't know what SEI means, I presume it is a rebuilt lower. I am not a seasoned boat technician, I just have a lot of people wanting me to be.

SEI is a brand... Sterndrive Engineering Industries. I don't think they sell direct, just through agents, which iBoats is one of...

achris

I drained the lower, the first place I added air pressure was the lower drain/fill plug, it seemed to hold ok, then I decided to blow into the weep hole. The spot where I noticed the fresh oil look was the small O-ring seal on the top outside edge where it meets with the upper housing, the shift shaft seal has what looks like a seepage over time (not fresh leak).
Thing is, this guy brought a new prop in also, and he claims it is hard shifting too. So, just wondering how much time and effort should be exerted towards this thing.

That small 'o' ring at the top is NOT an 'o' ring, it's a 'quad ring', and needs to be replaced with the correct thing, which is not an 'o' ring. Or if the old quad ring is in good shape, just re-use it.

You blow air up the drain from the weep hole... Good. That drain cavity needs to be kept clear, or it will fill with crap, dry out, expand and crack the housing... Not a good look...

How much pressure did you put in the drive, and how long did you leave it hold? (Needs to be about 12-15psi, and hold for AT LEAST 10 minutes).

Hard shifting could be the shift interrupt switch disconnected (common, unfortunately :facepalm:), or out of adjustment...

Chris.....