Picture of starter wire connections for 1996 3.0lx sea ray

John1996

Cadet
Hello everyone...Finally bought my first boat...1996 sea ray 175 bowrider with a 3.0lx engine. As I was running the engine after new distributor and rotor, the Ignition key must have got stuck in start. I heard a very loud noise..shut it down quickly. The starter was very hot. I took the starter out...it was fried. Bought new ingition key and starter.

Does anyone have a pic of the wiring connections to the starter. i just want to make sure I have them hooked up corrrectly with the new starter. The manual does not seem to be helping me much on this.

Thanks.
John

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Picture of starter wire connections for 1996 3.0lx sea ray

Using the picture below, on terminal A, you will have the main positive battery cable, a red wire going to the engine mounted circuit breaker, and an orange wire from the alternator.
On the B terminal you should have a yellow/red wire. Nothing on C and D.
Make sure none of the cable on A touch any other terminals.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Starter Solenoid.PNG
    Starter Solenoid.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 10

John1996

Cadet

Got it!! FYI there is a red wire that connects to terminal C which goes to some sort of electrical device (seleniod?) located next to the rear of the battery
Thanks again!
John

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There shouldn't be ANYTHING attached to terminal C.... apart from that short cable going into the starter motor...

John1996

Cadet

Don't know what to say...this red wire was on the C terminal...here is a picture of the electronic part that it goes to...this is located to the side of the battery. I do not know what it is. Does anyone else have any info on this.

Thanks John

Attachments

• sea ray starter wire.jpg
    sea ray starter wire.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 4

achris

too small to make out anything.. But it looks more like a trim pump than a starter...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Chris, that's the trim pump, not the starter.

John1996

Cadet

Sorry. That is NOT the starter...this is the device that the red wire from terminal C is hooked to. If that is the trim motor. ...does it make sense that it would be connected to the starter?

achris

Sorry. That is NOT the starter...this is the device that the red wire from terminal C is hooked to. If that is the trim motor. ...does it make sense that it would be connected to the starter?

Are you absolutely sure it's on terminal 'C'? If it is, then you can only use the trim while the engine is cranking! THAT would be most inconvenient....

John1996

Cadet

You guys are right... Nothing should be on the c terminal...I must have been mistaken. That's right LOL ...trim did not work. I moved that red wire, which a you said was the trim wire, to the hot on the starter. Everthing works great now!

Learning alot real quick!
Thanks again guys!