Spark Pllugs for Chevy 350

Bob197

Cadet
OMC recommends AC T43MR plugs. But this goes back many years.Does anyone know of higher performance plugs, i.e. more revs ,smoother idling? Platinum? Just put in some new Autolite equivilents and RPMs dropped by 200.<br /><br /> :( Robert

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark Pllugs for Chevy 350

Sure would help to know the year of your engine. Not all 350's are the same.

Bob197

Cadet

The Chevy 350 is about an 1983 version. I nave the manual and its recommendation.Just wondered if some state of the art stuff might be around that folks knew about<br /> Thanks,<br /><br /> Robert

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob, <br />Car enthusizsts have a tendency to experiment with things... "SplitFire" or "Platinum" spark plugs, different wires, advanced timing, remaped fuel/air ratio etc...<br /><br />I have purchased my boat from a racer, who installed "SplitFire" plugs into pre-1986 350 Merc. When I got the boat, one engine was hidrolocked. When I took off heads, one head gasket was blown and the cylinder head had a crack. Top of pistons had grooves in them. The grooves looked like someone took an electrical welder and did a sloppy job welding the pistons.<br />I asked the shop mechanic to look at it and determine the cause for problems.<br /><br />Verdict:<br />"SplitFire" plugs caused an extra heavy spark which with time had caused damage to the top of pistons. Engine ran at hotest temperature at all times. Overheat caused blown head gasket which in turn caused water to enter cylinder. <br /><br />Unless Don S could contradict to this, I strongly suggest: Use what is recommended by MERC. Any deviation from OEM may actually harm the engine's parts in the long run. You have performance over damage on the scale... What's worse more is your call.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any deviation from OEM may actually harm the engine's parts in the long run.
Just to refrase this: I think it only should apply to this particular case, case of spark plugs. Some changes from OEM as thruhull, less restrictive exhausts, better compartment ventilation, lighter weight manifolds and risers will by no means hurt the boat's engine. <br />Don S, Bondo, please correct me if I am wrong

Bob197

Cadet

Lenny,<br /> Thanks for your advise.I will stay with the manufacturer's call out on the plugs.It certainly sounds like a good idea based on your experience.<br /><br /> Thanks,<br /> <br /> Bob

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been running AC RapidFire #1 plugs for 4 years and have never had one foul out. I do alot of Idling and I fog my engine after each use.

Bondo

Staff member

There's All Kinds of Fancy Looking, Pretty Sparkplugs out there....... Most Co$t Much More than the MR43Ts,..............<br /><br />I've Never,.. Ever been failed, or let down by a MR43T Plug,..... Ever........<br /><br />I'd rather spend my money on somemore Gasoline,... <br />Than Over-Priced SparkPlugs........<br /><br />That's My Opinion,........

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Bondo:<br /> I've Never,.. Ever been failed, or let down by a MR43T Plug,..... Ever........
And I agree..........(but there is no way I will believe the BS about splitfires)

John_S

Rear Admiral

In Dennis Moore's book, "SBC Marine Performance", he recommends the extended tip versions of the MR43T, but I have only found the non-marine R43TS. NGK also has an extended tip version plug for the older 350 chevies. While his book has been out a long time and his explaination of why they are better, and seems to make sense, I have not heard testimonials on boating boards about using them. I did find that Crusader specs some for their 350 chevy's with the old style heads. The newer Vortecs do use an extended tip, as well. <br /><br />I have read on some other boating boards about a specific Champion plug that was designed specificly for Mercruisers 350's, because of a fowling problem. From what I can tell, it had something to do with the clearance between the plug and the exhaust manifolds. Apparently, the standard type is too close, picking up heat from manifold, and not being able to pull the heat away from the cyl head. It was also stated that if you replaced your plugs, every year, it wouldn't become an issue, and since they were Champions, I didn't figure it was worth trying. :)

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bondo Robby6950<br />..........(but there is no way I will believe the BS about splitfires)<br />
I will take a picture of the block that I have sitting in my garage. All components are 30 hours old. Engine ran with splitfires plugs. I would like to ask you Robby to comment on what will be on the picture (top of pistons) and maybe explain to me what might have been a cause for such damage within first 30 hours of using rebuilt block. <br />It might as well clarify the BS - as you kindly expressed yourself in regards to my comments.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I'm calling BS on the splitfires, always did, always will. Spark only jumps to ground, and the easiest one at that............. SplitFire" plugs caused an extra heavy spark <br />If your mechanic believes that a spark plug is making "extra heavy spark".....and you are here asking for a second opinion, well, you are getting one. The coil and Ignition system make ALL the juice, never the plug. 42 years of 350's and Harley's tell me that this guy raced these motors hot and on the edge of detonation, and those marks are melted aluminum from that, not the plug........run the 43's, everyone else does. And check the timing......

Bondo

Staff member

Well,................<br /><br />I Gotta Agree with Robby............<br /><br />Spark plugs,.......Any Sparkplugs,......... Even Sparkplugs that are Too Hot,..........<br />Don't Burn Holes in Pistons..................<br /><br />Detonation,..... Spark-Knock,....... Pinging,..... Pre-Ignition,.........<br /><br />That's what Burns Holes in Pistons...............

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bob197, <br />I was in no way trying to mislead you with what I said about SplitFires. My marine tech said SplitFires caused the top of pistons to melt...<br />I would less likely stay with that version of the story. Bondo is a very knowledgeable and well known IBOATS forum member. I would listen and follow his opinion over my mechanics' as well as my own. <br />Latest issue of Boating magazine suggested that "SplitFire Platinum" would increase both - speed and mpq by +0.75 and +0.25 respectively. <br />I would like to apologize for giving you slightly wrong info. It is just that after I had to replace the block, I am a bit skeptical about none OEM parts. It was beyond my reasonable understanding how 30 hours of usage could kill 350 Merc engine. Mechanic mentioned SplitFires might have been an issue, so I replaced plugs to OEM recommended and decided to stick with it. <br />I now remember running SplitFires in my Nissan Maxima. I tuned the car for performance and among the mods were sparkplugs. Did not hurt, but no visible power increase. On the other hand, free flow exhaust system, straight pipe in place of cat converter and a cold air intake was something of visual power increase. <br /><br />Robby, Bondo:<br />Thank you for clarifying

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I tried Splitfires in my 79 Harley Shovelhead in the 80,s and for some reason they came out. I don't remember why, but still have them (I never throw anything out!), and in fact I just put them back in a month ago, as the Bosh Plats were fouling out (built motor-big carb/cam-also beginning to believe Bosch Plats a junk too) and I will now try something different after I run the Splits for awhile. I notice zero improvement, and I have rode this bike for 25+years. Still believe Splits are hype, as the Bosch with FOUR ground electrodes. And now $12 IRIDIUM plugs from Denso......I give up. <br /> If you want the best improvement, put a total MSD ignition system in. Seems they have risen to the top electrical wise. And a terrific book on electrics "The Doctor's Step by Step Guide to Optimizing your Ignition", written by Christopher A. Jacobs Ph.D, is great.

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A projected tip plug- any projected tip plug will stay cleaner and therefore missfire less than one that isn't a projected tip, if the heat range is correct. If a spark plug has too cold a heat range it will not 'clean up' and will foul out. Too hot a heat range will cause electrode failure and may cause detonation as it acts like a glow plug in a diesel engine. A 'high end' plug is made of materials which can handle more heat without failure. I like the ones that unshroud the center electrode like the AC rapidfire or Nipendenso better than the splitfire.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

allright this is getting as good as oil threads----Robby6950, I run autolite's in my 80 shovel never a problem. :cool: