mercruiser diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1990 4.3 L 262 CI with thunderbolt ignition. I went out and ran beautiful for 1 hr. +/- and then put her into neutral coming back to the dock and just stalled out. Although did not have time for a complete check, I did get it started and ran very rough with throttle full on. Gas was getting to carb....I am thinking fuel filter clogged ...is there one or two filters? What else does this sound like?<br /><br />thx robert

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser diagnosis

Robert,<br /><br />There is also a filter in the carb, 2 if it's a 4bbl carb. Check compressions, and that you have spark to all cylinders. Check the timing and spark plugs also. When all these things are ok, then start checking the fuel system. <br /><br />Chris................

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will check if it is in-line filter or in carb.<br />BTW Is there a filter/screen in gas tank?

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

There should be one.Disconect the fuel line,the pick up can be unscrewed.Pull it out of the tank and clean.If you are unable to remove it,just blow back thru the hose with air.Problem with that is,the trash is still in the tank.

hearly

Seaman Apprentice

could water have entered the Exhaust Manifolds when you put it in neutral? if so your vent flpas could be warn out.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

are the exhaust shutters located on top of y pipe on the 1990 4.3 l merc?

cdenrco

Recruit
What compression #s should I expect out of my '89 140 4cyl @ 7'000 ft elev ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What compression #s should I expect out of my '89 140 4cyl @ 7'000 ft elev ?

A new thread of your own is required. This one is old and for a different motor. You don't have a 4.3.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.