Mercruiser Power Steering

Boat 23 ft Sea Ray
Year 1986
Engine Mercruiser 260

Last year I was having trouble steering my boat it was very stiff. I found out I had a bad cable replaced it. Before I hooked it up to the out drive in the stern i tested it and it turns GREAT left and right. But when I hook it up to the power steering and have the boat running it turns great left and but is very hard to turn to the right. WHat could this BE?

Also with the boat not running sitting in the drive way I am unable to move my out drive back and forth lock to lock? My out drive only moves very little about a quarter turn of the wheel then locks and will not go either direction. But once I start the engine it moves again but if I shut the engine off I will only be able to move out drive only about a quarter turn again. I am not sure if these 2 problems are related or seprate. I really would appreicate some help on this.... THANK you for your reply's

Re: Mercruiser Power Steering

Sounds like the control valve needs balancing.... Here's a link to the manual and the procedure is on page 7 of section 6A.
Manual -> http://www.4shared.com/document/zz_5pj9o/Service_Manual_06.html
Not being able to move the drive by hand is entirely normal with power steering.

Chris........

The Manual states if drive unit tends to creep in one direction or the other (with engine running,drive unit in neutral, and hands off the steeringwheel), the control valve MUST BE balanced as explained following.

My out rive does not creep or move when the boat is running on the hose in the drive way I have to turn the wheel and when I turn it to the right it is hard to turn but turning left is EASY. I burt the clutch on my auto pilot last summer and need to fix this problem before I re install my AP...

Well I drained the systemp and ran some sea foam tranny cleaner throgh it but it is still really hard to turn to the right.. when the engine is not running.. With the motor off and the drive down I can push on the mtor and it will move left and right and then LOCK up and not be able to move by pushing on it and if I turn the sterring wheel it will not move.. and then when I go to start up the motor you better have your hand clear of the wheel cua as soon as it start the wheel will turn hard one way or the other almost like ther eis presure on the sterring valve... I am lost.. any help...

Bondo

Staff member

Well I drained the systemp and ran some sea foam tranny cleaner throgh it but it is still really hard to turn to the right.. when the engine is not running.. With the motor off and the drive down I can push on the mtor and it will move left and right and then LOCK up and not be able to move by pushing on it and if I turn the sterring wheel it will not move.. and then when I go to start up the motor you better have your hand clear of the wheel cua as soon as it start the wheel will turn hard one way or the other almost like ther eis presure on the sterring valve... I am lost.. any help...

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Sounds like the actuator is shot...

There's alittle bit in the manual 'bout alignin' the wrench flats for the valve...

I pulled the entire steering sytem off and sprayed it down with Brake parts cleaner and filled up the pistion and worked the rod in and out and a bunch or black tar came out... I put it all back together and with the motor running the boat turns left and right with 1 finger... i use A auto pilot %80 time while trolling so I am happy... but with the motor off and out of the wtere the out drive will not move left or right but a but inches.. I am not gonna worry about it cuz it I am happy...